How to Get My Almost 3yo to Sleep Past 4 AM??

We have tried many things. He goes to bed @ 8 and we have put him to bed later. We have even put him to bed earlier but he won't go to sleep @ 7. We have also put a lamp in his room with a timer. We talk about how he is welcome to play or read quietly until it switches on (he's able to turn the overhead light on to do this). That worked for a few months. Now if he decides not to wake us up he is jumping and banging around which doesn't help us sleep. My husband works 12+ hrs/day and is exausted. This stresses him out and puts him in a horrivle mood. Which in turn is hard on us. Anythoughts??

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 7:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm having the same issues with my son who is almost 4. Does your son take a nap during the day? Mine doesn't and still gets up 2x's at night and wakes at 5:30. I just talked to his pedi about it yesterday and he said to be firm and not to allow the "habit". He also said kids that wake so much at night and are up early, are usually hyperactive. Which my son is. I have recently started giving him a 1/4 of a melatonin tab to help him sleep. This will help him sleep all night, but still gets up early.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 7:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Try extending the bed time. Do things throughout the day to really tire him out. This helps with my daughter.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Have you tried a reward system for the mornings he is quiet? He earns stickers each morning that he is quiet and then when he gets 3-5 stickers he gets a prize. Make a big deal out of it the mornings he isn't quiet - "Oh, you weren't quiet this morning, no sticker on the chart!" The first few mornings, make sure you give him a reminder about the sticker chart, just stick your head in his door and remind him then go back to sleep.

Answer by missanc at 9:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Is he still taking a nap during the day? If so, lose it. What does he do all day? Is he active, getting tired out each day?
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Haha.. suggestions from "easy" children I think.. I am currently bribing with doughnuts to get him to actually sleep all night - he has recently REstarted waking at 5am.. I feel ya.. I doubt like with max, activity is an actual issue - I know whether he sits on the couch all day (which has never happened.... ) or if he ran a marathon, sleep wouldn't be affected one bit.. I think to provide sanity in your marriage, you may need to just get up with him since "quiet time" in his room isn't working...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• if he's still taking a nap, stop. And try to put him to bed later maybe?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• momofone..that is my son to a tee...he is not a calm child that will sit in front of the TV EVER unless he is sick..he is nonstop from dusk til dawncool..he will LOVE it

as for the nap..ha! ha! we had 2 weeks of NO nap and it was a disater..I thought I would absolutely loose it! By 2 PM he is a mess and quiet time?? LOL! Does not exist here. then by 5 he is falling asleep playing with his toys...I push him to 6 but that is all he can take...so unfortunately NOT an option.

missanc, GREAT idea! i was actually thinking about that this AM. He used to have that when he was having trouble going to sleep at night and it seemed to work. i will try it out.

maxsmom, we both know how NUTS are kids are,,we do all the right things, organic foods, no sugar, routine and they still are bannanas...please God bless me with an easier one next time around!
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2010