How do get my puppy to stop biting

he is a ten week old mix pup n everyday he is biting more and more, I tell him not n sometimes pop his nose n I'll give him a chew toy but he just keeps biting

SammiGirl07

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 7:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pets

• Get a book on dog training or look for ideas online through Google. It is basic training that most pet owners have to go through. This is typical puppy behavior.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• thats a hard one. depends on the puppy. ask a trainer
    mclewett

Answer by mclewett at 7:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• When puppies play together and get too rough with the other one, the "hurt" one will yelp loudly in a high pitch. This tells the aggressor that he needs to not be so rough. Puppies learn much like babies do by mouthing almost everything. If you are playing with puppy and he gets too rough yelp and he will pull back. Then rub him gently and say "gentle" in a hushed tone. He will settle down. Also, if the puppy is "mouthing" and you do not want to be licked and mouthed then turn your entire body away from the dog. When he comes around to approach you from a different side, turn away from him again. This lets him know that you do not want to be treated the way he has been. Then praise him for giving you your space. GL HTH!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• This is normal puppy behavior. Popping them does not do anything but possibly make them head shy and probably bite more. The pup needs to learn bite inhibition. What you need to do it "yelp" when the puppy put his mouth on you at all, if he grabs your clothes, or puts his mouth on skin even those few occasions when it does not hurt. I say OUCH when dogs put their mouths on me. I don't yell it but I make it sound like it really hurt. This is how dogs tell each other when they are biting to hard in play. You have to be consistant with this. That is the key with anything you are teaching dogs. But you should see that the puppy takes his mouth away from you immediately. He may come right back but it will be gentler. Eventually, the puppy will be very gentle when he puts his mouth on you and then he will stop all together. If he gets to excited in play and gets really mouthy stop playing immediately and ignore him
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• cont. until he is calm. If he is not settling down you can use his crate (if he has one) as a time out for 5 minutes. You don't want to use the crate as a punishment of course just put the puppy in it like you normally would.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• pups bite they are playing ,teething,and that is how they check out the world. i bought lots of nubby chew toys and rawhide sticks. hitting their nose wont help. say no and if need be close their mouth gently while doing so. mine doesnt do it as often as when we first got her. we check thing sout with our ears, eyes and hands. they use eyes, mouth and nose. be patient and you will be surprised how quick it gets better.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My pug did this for a while I stuck my finger to the back of her throat to make her gag. It took a while but she learned to stop. She is 8 months old now.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• By the way I give my dog plenty of bones to chew on too. That helps a little bit.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2010