where do you live and what do you like about it?

We will probably be moving when we retire and I would like to hear from people where they live and what it is like there. Climate, housing costs, how the people are, are they friendly, how big is the town/city you live in etc. As much as you can tell me would be great.
Thanks!

sue118

Asked by sue118 at 7:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We live in N.C currently on the coast I Love love love the water and the people are so much more friendly than ohio, many people agree with me on this and i think its due to weatehr ohio//norther states are gloomier for a lot of the year and i believe that the sun really affect our mood and personallites I also noticed this when we lived in Fl. when i moved back to Ohio people seemed so grumpy ..i feel the more north I go the worse its gets I absolutely love the south and the hospitality of the south! :D
    My hubby is getting out of the military soon and Ive told him we cant go back north unless he gets a great job bc I want to be happy and around happy people and I hate the gloomy//depressing months which can be about 1/2 the year sometimes..
    kyliemaynard

Answer by kyliemaynard at 7:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I live in Miami, the weather is awesome all year long, during fall the weather sometimes gets chilly which is a welcome change. The people here are friendly, everywhere I go total strangers talk to you, and go out of their way if you ever need help. Housing cost can be expensive depending on what part of the city you want to live in, but the nice places are a bit pricey, but if you look good enough you can always find somewhere where your budget fits. Miami has become a big city, but there are still places that are not cramped with people. The downsize is traffic, too many people want to come live here, but I work around that.

Answer by older at 7:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I live in New Jersey....I can't seem to escape it. I like living here but I'm used to all the awful things about Jersey since I was born here. I love the shores and Atlantic City and I live very close to Philadelphia and NY isnt that far. But I dont recommend retireing here unless you want to be taxed to death, deal with our crazy drivers and get cut off or get the finger with what feels like every trip out. Oh and the people are not so warm and inviting...noone talks to each other in grocery lines and such. I love going on trips to other states and how nice people and drivers are....I must say its pretty foreign to me from the way people live around here. Good luck with your retirement, I heard New Hampshire is a wonderful retirement area.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• This Qstn is only for US citisns
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 7:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• No, this question isn't just for US. I am willing and open to know information about anywhere and everywhere.
    sue118

Comment by sue118 (original poster) at 8:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• we live in upstate NY (google fingerlakes) I love it here you get all the seasons. we have lakes, mountains, small towns good sized cities. Great restaurants. Something to do all year long. Lots of history . close to major and minor airports. lots of festivals. we have farms, vineyards. awesome wine trail. the people are great we love our area & are proud of it. the people who do move away they either come back often for visits or move back again. housing costs vary from low to very high depending on where you want to live (small town VS bigger town, on the lake or canal costs more, or buy a mountain home) We also have a great grocery store.I know sounds nuts (google Wegmans grocery store) people come here from all over the world to tour and see Wegmans. We have museums, & are close to Niagara falls. If you are an outdoor person there is no reason why our changing season would bother you there is something for all

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Central Rural GA. I love it and hate it. The land is beautiful, the majority of folks are great. We have access to bigger cities and small town life, great medical facilitites awesome foods and good shopping. The weather can be extreme though, bad storms in OctNov and then again in the early spring.Hot Summers and high humidity.Racism is still present. We are looking at the GA shores for retirement, I think Savannah and the neighboring islands and small shore cities are awesome. The oaks are beautiful, the people are relaxed, the economies are still great and the activities are abundant. Even a little more North into the SC-southern shore areas, it's still very much the same. GL with your choice.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I live in NYC and I love everything about it! There's so much to do, and so much to see. There's always cultural events going on and the best shopping in the world. I actually just wrote a blog article about the gorgeous colors in NYC during autumn: http://croscill-living.com/get-inspired/croscill-chronicles. Let me know what you think!
    amandag618

Answer by amandag618 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I live in New York and there isn't much I like about it. Taxes are too high, cost of living is too high, gas prices are high again for no reason, Albany (who runs this place) is a joke, and we just re-elected incumbants. UGH!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 4:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I live in the Caribbean, Dominican Republic to be exact, and I like the fact that dollars get multiplied 37.20 so, one dollar is 37.20 Pesos. It is very easy to live WELL here with a one thousand dollar a month income for a family of four. I like how cheap it is, the fact that there is so much freedom, and that the weather is always nice! Every day is a beach day!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2010