would there be a good chance of my baby surviving at 27 weeks or 28 weeks

anyone have any knowledge of a baby's chances at this stage

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 7:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I saw several charts like this one with similar numbers online. Every situation is different but the chart might be helpful. Good luck!

Gestation of baby at birth (weeks) Survival

if a baby is born at 23 weeks, the chance of survival is 37%

if a baby is born at 24 weeks, the chance of survival is 76%

if a baby is born at 25 weeks, the chance of survival is 79%

if a baby is born at 26 weeks, the chance of survival is 74%

if a baby is born at 27 weeks, the chance of survival is 90%

if a baby is born at 28 weeks, the chance of survival is 88%

if a baby is born between 29-32 wks, the chance of survival is 96%

if a baby is born between 32-36 wks, the chance of survival is 97%

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I seen where you asked this earlier. If you get your kidney infection treated soon enough by a doctor you will not go into preterm labor. They can give you antibiotics to help get rid of the infection. Call your doctor and let them know what is going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Babies born after 28 weeks have roughly a 96% survival rate and each day makes a difference. I found my info on the March of Dimes website here. This is a great source of information for all things preemie. http://www.marchofdimes.com/baby/premature_indepth.html

foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Survival rates are good. Having other difficulties varies. Our two were premies. One was born at 7 months, the other at 8. Both reacted to the distress they were under (placeta previa) by compensating a bit. So both had more fully developed lungs than were normal for their ages and one had extra red blood cells. Our 8 monther has learning issues and ADD, the seven monther has no issues. A friend of mine had her's at 6 months. He had problems at the beginning but has no residual difficulties. He is a brilliant, athletic kid. If you are getting good care, have been doing what you can on your end to stay healthy, and stay well hydrated, that's all you can do. If your hospital has a NICU unit you may find a lot of good support there from other parents as well as the hospital staff. Hope this helps.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 8:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i'll pray for you dear , hope u'r bb will be fine , sorry if dont have any info regarding this
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 7:49 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• http://miscarriage.about.com/od/pregnancyafterloss/a/prematurebirth.htm

this might help you out.

Answer by older at 7:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It depends on what's functioning when the child is born. They always say all these statistics, but until you see a NICU for yourself I beg to differ. When a child is born that early it risks, infection, cerbal palsy, blindess, and failure to breathe, not all of them make it. Doctors are amazing these days, but if your child is in the NICU it's not going to be easy. Believe me, I know. I just think you should know the facts going in if this is a possiblility for you. I pray to God it's not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• bcbmami, I don't buy that you didn't have any complications with a 26 week old preemie. He was born healthy? No child born that early is healthy. You just took him right home? He didn't stay in the NICU? If your baby needs help breathing and is staying in a NICU because he is too small is not considered healthy with no complications.
    Anonymous

• I had a 27 weeker almost 2 years ago he spent 10 weeks 4 days in the NICU, 5 weeks of those he was critical. While the baby can survive, there is almost always some long term health issues (50% chance or higher on many of the issues).

momofthree109

Answer by momofthree109 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• At 27-28 weeks, probably 80-90%. Other than age, birth weight figures in too (the higher BW the better). My little girl was born on September 14, 2010 at 28 weeks, weighing 792 grams (1 pound, 11.9 ounces). About 9 weeks and 2 days later she's still in the NICU but getting better by the day. She did have stomach and lung problems, going back and forth from TPN to tube milk feedings, got pneumonia and barely pulled through, but now on 21% O2 (basically room air). We have had a lot of close calls and it has been a roller-coaster ride in the NICU, but 28 weekers in general usually survive without too many lasting problems.
    selenesmom33

Answer by selenesmom33 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010