When you got married, did you change your last name or add his name? Why or why not.

When SO and I started dating, I told him I was never planning on changing my last name. He had a hard time with it at first but later accepted it. What about the rest of you? Did you change your last name or add his name when you got married? Why or why not.

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I changed my last name to his because retaining your maiden name was not "in vogue" then. If I were getting married today I would keep my last name and/or have the two last names hyphenated.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I changed my last name to his last name. I really like the sound of his better than my maiden name!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 8:18 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• When I married I took hubs last name. Although there are days now where I wish I would have kept my maiden name- as that was a nice, short, simple name- and hubs name is a long one! I
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:19 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I took his name, proudly! I figure you are just trading your father's name for your husband's name. We have talked about taking each others names...my maiden as our middle and his as our last...how progressive!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 8:23 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I took his last name. I love him and wanted to share his name in the traditional way.
    Pwill54

Answer by Pwill54 at 8:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I changed my last name to his. My maiden name is my sperm donor's last name and never meant that much to me to begin with. I do want to change my last name though to be my mother's maiden name hyphen my husband's last name.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• No...I didn't change my last name either time. I was born with this last name, I'm going to die with this last name and I don't really think it's fair, why don't they change their last name to ours?
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I changed my last name because I wanted us to have the same last name. I didn't want to hyphenate because my maiden name was pretty long to begin with and I didn't want an even longer last name.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yes, I changed my last name to my DH with pride & lots of love!!! I don't regret every minute of it :)
    MinnieMouse8

Answer by MinnieMouse8 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I did in deed change my name. I took his name because I became his family. Call me old fashioned but I love the guy and wanted to be his wife in name.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2010