Focalin XR 15mg and now Adderal XR 5mg ? adult content

My son is 7 yrs old and was diagnosed with ADD over a yr ago, he's been taking Focalin up until yesterday. The Focalin made his anxiety level shoot throught the roof, He is failing every subject in school and has a real short attention span.
I am trying very hard to read every book, every article on these meds, ( I am not a fan of medication in the first place.) But I do know that my son needs help! I want whats best for my son, I just dont know what to do. I want to change his diet and do what ever it takes to help him, I was just wondering what other mothers are doing. How is you child coping with this. My son is so emotional and having a hard time with this, I just want my baby to be ok.

mommieoftree

Asked by mommieoftree at 8:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My stepson is 8 and is on Adderall 35mg. He was SOOOO hyper. The meds are working for the hyperactivity with no side effects. However it's not touching the attention problem. We are having him tested for any other issues through his school as he too is not doing well at all. He has problems with simple math that he's been doing for the past 2 years and his spelling and vocabulary is atrocious. This is so foreign for me as I have 2 grown children of my own that were in the gifted programs in school and were honor roll students. I am hoping the school finds something wrong so we can fix it. I know with my stepson sugar makes him hyper...watch your son's sugar intake. As far as him being emotional talk to him and reassure him that it's all okay and will get better. You said the previous meds made him anxious...his emotions may balance out after he's been on Adderall for a bit, once the other is out of his system.
    LoriannMc

Answer by LoriannMc at 9:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I dont believe in that crap! Kids are kids.. and kids are hyper, and don't always pay attn... the meds just make them dependant or addicted. How many ppl do you know of that had ADD or ADHD before there was meds for it..? I would forget that crap. =) GL I hope things get better.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I ended up having to take my son to therapy to get him help. and my son is on vyvanse 20 mg and i cant handle his moodswings anymore. Hopefully the therapy will help him to be my baby boy again than loves his family and friends. ((((HUGS))))
    tinkerbella3

Answer by tinkerbella3 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My son had been on Focalin up until abou a month or so ago & then he was changed to the generic version of Adderal which he's taking like 20mg. I'm going to be honest with you, whenever you have his meds filed, PLEASE read the info that comes with the med. Often times the medcine that's suppose to help them can and often will cause other side effects that can be severe. Try going back to the doctor and voicing your concerns and see if another medication will do him some good.
    NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2010