What can I do where my son's serizures want be so hard on him??

My son has alot of medical problem and his big one is his three types of serizures.... It has been really hard for him to deal with all of this... Thank you for your time....

Wilslonewolf

Asked by Wilslonewolf at 1:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Call his dr's office and ask them if they have literature (pamphlets). Maybe try a local bookstore or library and get some books on his particular conditions. Read the books with him. Let him ask questions and talk about the answers (and/or his feelings/thoughts) together. Most importantly, reassure him that he's not alone because there are many children who have some/all of the same conditions that he does. Also, www.webmd.com has a lot of great info. on just about everything you can think of. Hope this helps some.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I understand what you're going through here. I assume your son is on tons of meds and has probably had them switched a hundred times yet they still don't help. My sister is going through the same thing. She has suffered seizures for the past 6 years since she had strokes at the age of 14. She has finally come to the end of loooong string of procedures and tests and will be going in to the hospital on Wednesday for the final test before undergoing epilepsy (brain) surgery. I don't know what you can do for him except maybe find an epilepsy support group? I'm sorry he is going through this. I know how hard it is.
    teach_ohio

Answer by teach_ohio at 2:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• OMG, I am sooo sorry. I think I totally misunderstood your question and answered in the sense of helping him to understand these condidtions a little more clearly. I feel sooo bad because I didn't give you any advice on how to make it a little easier for him in the physical aspect. Again, I'm really sorry.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Obviously talk to his Drs..but also talk to him. Let him know it is okay to talk to you about howe it makes him feel. Let him know the seizures are NOT his fault. My son told me as a teen he thought he had tehm because he was bad. I was stunned. Does he wear a padded helmet? I know it was really hard for us with potty training time. He would lose control of at least his bladder immediately following aseizure, sometimes bowel too. I guess it wopuls help to know if you are talking physicval or mentally hard on him. We dealt with some of each. I hope this helps.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2008