I have a two month old baby, he can't stop sucking his fingers, Is this normal?

This habit is not related to hunger, he does it before or after eating. I thought he was teething since I was born with teeth, but I am not sure anymore. It is annoying me, he does it almost 24 hours a day, sometimes he does it with his whole fist.

pochpolita

Asked by pochpolita at 8:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 4 month old is like this. I don't understand the hot sauce....why discourage a baby from soothing themselves. BTW...a paci doesn't always work. I thought my little one would like one if she needed oral-soothing, but she doesn't care for it much. She will take it if I hold it in the whole time. If I am not holding it, she will let it fall out so she can put her hands in...LOL
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 10:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• He is probably soothing himself with it. As for discouraging it, if you want to be prepared to get a paci. At his age, I wouldn't recommend using hot sauce since it's natural for them to suck to soothe.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yes...it's normal but if it continues for to long...again ladies don't beat me up about this because it works...up a drop of hot sauce on his favorite pinky...nothing to hot...something like "Crystal" hot sauce...put in on...rub it in and let it dry before you let him cut lose on it. I guarantee he'll stop and it won't hurt him.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Normal my 5month old has her hands in her mouth constantly Congrats on your lo. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If it is bothering you, give him a pacifier to suck on. The sucking does soothe babies and then you will be able to take it away the older he gets. Finger sucking will be a harder habit to break...please do not use the hot sauce on a tiny baby. Then need to suck will pass the older he gets.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2010