Aging drivers was a topic on the TODAY show, Your thoughts?

An 84 yr old lady going the wrong way on the highway! I have personal experince here- Older lady trying to park her car thought she drive was in drive, but she was in reverse. I was getting into my car when he whip around and hit my car throwing me and the car up on the curb.

aitson

Asked by aitson at 8:47 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that once a driver has become 70 years of age, they should be given a comprehensive driving test once a year.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Old age is always older than the person responding. .
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think there should be a mandatory road test for all drivers over 80. I was rear-ended in rush hour traffic by an 81 yar old woman who said she didn't see my car....ha....in a huge traffic jam, and she said she didn't see me. I found out that she had been the cause of two other accidents before that . They suspended her License and her Insurance company paid for all my expenses. But still, it was a chain reaction type of accident and it involved three other cars besides mine. I hope they took away her License. There is always the bus....
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• GL everyone trying to get older drivers off the road. They drive without licenses just like younger people do. People want their freedoms and cars are a necessity today. It's almost impossible for someone who's driven for 60 years to just suddenly stop. The families have to get heavily involved and literally take the car away and then be there daily for transportation services. No agency will solve the problem, the family has to step in.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:56 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think at a certain point the driven should be given every year. I also think the driving age should be older than it is now. My Papa will be 97 on the 12th of Nov...he still drives. Can u imagine the look on the face of the DMV girl when she sees his date of birth as 11/12/1913??? That is old, to be driving a car. I love my Papa, but if he becomes a safety issue then he should be forced to surrender his license.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:14 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We will never get their keys lol. They are the owns that line pocket books of the "voices' that really matter in america. Half of them are driving to there weekly dr. appt.. .aka social senior citizen gathering.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:49 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• 11/12/1913---

Interesting date, that would be my only comment. 

As for the op, Younger doesnt mean safer. 

PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 10:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• This is a scary thing and with the aging population, they are going to have to put some legislation in place. (won't affect our aging politicians because they all have personal drivers ;)
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yep, just like with any driver, unsafe is unsafe. From experience, sometimes the keys and car must be taken away, requiring other arrangements to be made: increased offspring involvement (often why many are reluctant to step in), medivans, cabs, grocery/pharmacy delivery services......

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Well, there will be more and more of them with the graying of the baby boomers.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010