do you make gravy from scratch...easiest way to make?

i would love to make gravy for my boys and hubby with meat but be able to make some on side meatless for me and my daughter.any suggestions?looking for easy recipe to substitute ingredients as i need to. thanks

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• 4 tbsp. butter
    4 tbsp. flour
    Salt
    Pepper
    2 1/2 c. milk

You can add meat or use the juice from the cooked meat as some of the milk as well
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Take the turkey pan...put it on the stove top on low to medium...add some wine (white works best in this case) and when it starts to heat up just a little...start whisking in flower a very, VERY little bit at a time till you get the consistency you desire. Trust me...it's the best you'll ever have and takes about five minutes to slap together.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You can make scratch gravy from pretty much anything! I usually make mine from sausage grease....
    Fry your sausage, then drain grease.
    Use grease in a non-stick skillet... Add flour ( I always use all-purpose, but my MIL uses Self-rising, so either will work)...
    Stir with whisk until it starts to brown...
    Then add water, milk, buttermilk, evaporated milk, whichever you choose...
    I prefer whole milk, while DH prefers buttermilk.
    Keep stirring until it starts to boil, then it'll start to thicken pretty quickly.
    Stir until desired thickness.

You can also melt butter, or use any type of grease/lard to start your gravy with...
    I never measure ingrediants, or anything, so I can't give you exact measurements, or heat settings.
    Just play around until you find something you like.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2010