Can age difference and life experience be a reason for some of the snarkiness on here?

Sometimes some moms on here are snarky or take offense partly because they may have been too young to understand and have lived thru certain periods of time that some of us did live thru and experience and that this lack of experience makes them somewhat blind to what we may be talking about?

Example: They are worried about the world today and what the kids are going to be facing. Having lived thru the Cold War when everyone was sure we'd be going to WW3 with Russia using Nukes and that our kids would be living in a post nuclear world, I can say everything does seem to work itself out and those moms get all upset.

Is that due to a lack of life experience (in some cases)?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, I think that could be part of it. I remember being young and thinking I knew everything and that older people were just "out of touch". Part of maturity for me has been the realization that I DON'T know everything and that sometimes listening to the wisdom of a trusted elder can be an excellent opportunity to learn something new.
    I think a lot of it is personality too--some people are just more open to hearing what others have to say and at least considering their ideas as potentially viable/helpful, while other people get defensive all the time. Sometimes THAT trait has nothing to do with age and everything to do with a general attitude.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:56 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think so too. The older you get your values change on what is really important and what is not as important. I could have cared less about politics when I was younger but now I do care about what happens to us as a country. It is the same with other things. It is the maturity level.
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 9:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• absolutely! Experience changes the way we see things and how we look at others. Some of them do and say the things they do because they havent lived long enough or sometimes through enough to do better!
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 9:23 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think a lot of it is personality too----

yes, THIS^. some CMers' youth passed them by years ago, and they still manage to be immature.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:00 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Well anyone of us can be accused of this, and guilty of this said snarkyness...catch me in a mood! BUT, I will say, that as a 44 yr old mother of 5 at times I get a bit frustrated with some of the questions, ideas, and philosophies of young moms. This site has been a real eye opener for me. I have been here about 2 yrs now and I still cannot believe the amount of young moms who are atheist, or it seems now the "in" thing to be is Wican. I can't believe the amount of moms who don't vax their kids. I still am in shock at the "tude" women who breast feed (like they are better than others) (and I DID nurse my kids) but that does not make me perfect, nor love my children anymore than a formula feeding mom. I have my ways, beliefs etc. Some questions just seem to get under my skin or strike me as ignorant. I have no patients for teen mom, the Kardashians, ghett slang etc. Just sayin.lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• ghetto sry*
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It could be.  The young tend to be quite militant in their opinions but with maturity comes the ability to temper your opinions.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:19 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• maybe the pagans and Wiccans were already around before but its only been okay to openly talk about it in the last few years.
    same could be said about homosexuality. There have always been gay people, but it was a taboo topic for a long time, so they stayed quiet about it until recent years.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• While I totally agree that Pagan and Wican is hardly a new concept...it is extremely old, here is where we part ways. I don't think most of these moms were brought up in homes of practicing Wicans...some but not many. I think it is the result of coming of "age" and thinking for ones self. I do not bash these moms, nor do I bash gay's, I have friends in both of these groups. I am just saying, it has been an eye opener for me regarding the amount of moms out there with these beliefs. In my early days of young motherhood the "in" things were bilateral tubes in kids ears, and the dread ADHD diagnosis...everyone had a kid on ritilan. My point is whether you agree or not, is that every generation has things specifically related to them in child rearing...so it goes. I would further add, that I do enjoy some answers of young moms as they remind me to keep an open mind, or put a younger spin on things.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Not sure it's only age. Geographical location and home values do seem to have a role in a person's outlook.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2010