How can I start a metaphysical shoppe as a business?

Going along with my other question, what would I need to do to get one started? How much does it cost to start up a business? What should I keep an eye on?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 9:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I had an internet based New Age/Pagan shop for a few years. I sold retail and wholesale, mostly Items I hand made: altars, wands, engraved runes, herbal soaps, candles etc. etc. I did pretty well and it would have done better if at the time I had the ambition to take it further, look for a loan, get space and hire employees. But I didn't and sold off the pieces of the business. But at the time I had retail stores as far away as Japan and the UK selling my items.

Between store space, store fixtures, utilities, merchant account and equipment, cash register, products, bags, etc etc you'll probably need anywhere from $5,000-$15,000 to get up and running.

The first step is to do research and write a professional business plan and take it to a few banks and look into a loan. Getting a DBA and tax ID and making it happen
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The costs are going to vary greatly depending on whether you are opening up a store, renting a kiosk or going to be an e-commerce business. At the very least, you need to start with writing a business plan and making your business legal. You'll need to purchase inventory from a wholesaler. You'll need to market your business. Expect to work very hard the first couple of years.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2010