Venting about food stamp abuse.

I am in total shock. I was just at Walmart doing my weekly shoping and I got in line behinde a woman who had sparated he food into three orders. One had a bunch of junk food ( no fruits or veggies as far as I could see) and piles of expensive deli meats, and I kinda got anoyed on this one, steaks (like 5 pagkages and they were NOT on sale or anything). So the cashier rings up her first order and she pays for it with her FS card. The cashier rings up her second order (milk, cheese eggs, penut butter,cereal, bread ect finally a LITTLE bit of fresh fruit & veggies) and she paid for it with her wic checks. This kinda anoyed me (that she was buying so much junk and extras) but I go to Walmart a lot and in my area prob 1 out of every 4 people are on then so I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me that people are on them, though I wish people would use them for healthier food. I would like to mention that I am eligable for them but

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the whole point of OP's post is that why should this woman get FS when she can obviously spend $100 of her own money on beer and cigarettes? That $100 of her own money could have been spent on food, regardless how healthy or unhealthy it was. The whole point of FS was to help those that needed help in buying food because they didn't have enough left over after the month to feed their family. I'm all for people using the help (hand up) when they need it and I'm happy to help via paying taxes, but it is irritating to know that not all FS recipients are honest folks.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I never can understand why people are so interested in the person in front of them in line.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I get kinda tired of the high horse thing with "I"m eligible BUT I don't apply for it" As if that somehow makes you a better person then people who do get them. Some people do use them responsibly. I used to when we got them. I know some people do not. I have a friend who gets junky stuff all the time & runs out of food before the end of the month. But you know what? That's on them. If they can't figure out the best way to use the food money given & then run out & have to use their own dollars to buy some meat & milk then hey it all evens out in the end I figure. If you buy pop & doritos w/ your FS & then have no meat 2 weeks later & you have to take $$ & buy it well its the same difference. Your not "abusing" food stamps by buying food (even if it is junk). FS abuse would be if you lied when you applied for them & still get them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I guess I am one of the few that do not see a problem, the beer and stuff she has to pay w/her own money. If she runs out of food before the end of the month then she will have to use her own money. She might not either know or care about nutrition they way you do, and s buying what she will know what her family will eat.

I don't think I would even know if someone was paying w/EBT or a debit card, I know I wouldn't notice, I don't pay that much attention to my surroundings, like that.

I could take a little bit extra in food stamps, but we make too much money.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• OMG, do you realize what a tiny fraction of tax dollars go towards the welfare program? Fractions of cents. I think you should concentrate on your own life. Why on earth would you think you have the right to be annoyed by what others buy and how they pay for it? Work on your own life and let others live theirs. Would you stand in line and tell every child on food stamps they can't have that box of cookies because they are on food stamps, and their parents should spend you tax dollars more responsibly? It really is none of your business. As for the above post regarding mandatory nutrition classes..they won't work. Now, cooking classes maybe. I just think it is really crazy that welfare bashers get so bent out of shape...this has no social significance in your world, let it go.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• sorry, dont know what to say.. the only thing that popped out at me was that deli meats are actually cheaper by the pound than the pre packaged stuff soo...
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• IMO What you described is not food stamp abuse. Abuse would be when they sell or trade the money for cash to support habits. Or lie to qualify, etc. At least the money was going to the right type of purchase.

That being said though, what you witnessed does upset me also. I know most probably wouldn't agree with me, but I think the FS program should be set up similar to the WIC program. A certain portion of the money should be given in a voucher form to purchase healthy staples. At least in the households with children. Nutrition classes should be mandatory also. A lot of people only know easy crap, they need to be taught.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 9:30 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I also say people should have to take a drug test monthly and randomly to get the food stamps AND maybe a list of certian things and brands they can buy (make food stamps more like WIC)
    Momma_Forever

Answer by Momma_Forever at 9:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If you are living with your finace, his income IS included. It is the household income they go by. Also, it really isn't your business what someone on FS buys, it is THEIR choice. How do you know that she isn't also WORKING? You do not know someone elses situation and you should assume. I work part time and get food stamps, I also buy salami (which isn't all that expensive), steaks, soda, and junk food...not a lot but I am not going to deprive my son or myself foods that we eat. I would rather buy what we eat then throw out food that we don't and it goes bad. Just an FYI, the number of people abusing FS is very low. Just remember that ANY of you can be on the other side and be jobless, underemployed, homeless, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I just don't let shit like that ruin my day. People abuse it, we pay for it, and until the system is revamped, it's going to be this way. Best thing to do is just read a magazine and not worry about the people in front of you. I do that because my grocery shopping is my alone time. That's right, I get to go to the grocery store ALL BY MYSELF!! It's really not my business. I guess in the sense we are taxpayers it is, but I am not going to mouth breath over someone's transactions and watch how it's paid for. We all know people don't make the best use of it but there are some who do make the best use of it. Do I like what people do? Of course not. I bet people look in my cart and say "Like that fat chick REALLY needs that case of coke or package of oreos."
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2010