What do you when your teens cuss? I'm at a loss of words and tired of hearing it....

EVERYDAY!!!!!!! It does'nt help if my hubby cusses everyday either and uses f*** every other word. I've told him not to cuss but of course he does'nt care what i say. Iwas'nt raised that way to cuss but i think his family did when he was growing up. My teens don't have jobs .......daughter is looking for one at this time. But I would like some ideas of what you do at your house please

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 9:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• The only "acceptable" (and that term is used very lightly) time we were allowed to cuss is if we were mad and it just came out. Otherwise we weren't allowed to cuss at all for any reason.

I personally think that you need to sit down with your teens and talk to them about what is expected of them. What they are allowed to say and do in your home and what they're not. Then allow them time to speak. But make sure to just have a civil conversation, so everyone can hear one another out. Sounds like a simple non-effective idea, I know, but you'd be surprised what can happen when teens feel as though they're being heard.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Another thing you can do is .. Everytime they cuss, even husband, a dime goes into the cursing jar. And every coin that gets put in there goes to someone else. If they don't fill up the jar within a certain time (say a month) then you guys go out for a special treat. If they fill it up they get privliages taken away. Including DH.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Come to a "if I can't control you , I may as well support you" compromise?

Ask them "Look, I understand you curse. I don't like it, but I can't make you stop, but I can ask that you respect me and not do it around me or in our house. What you do outside of the house and away from me, I can't do anything about, but I would like you didn't say those tings around me. Thank you."

That kinda of mature, respectful response may just do it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I am pretty lenient on swearing, except for the f-bomb and C#*t. I do get on my son if it gets to be too much. He is pretty good about not swearing in front of me though. I really can't say much to him because I have a potty mouth

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I am 34 years old and If my mom were still alive I would not swear in front of her. I just think it is showing them respect. My oldest one is only 12. So I haven't had to cross that bridge yet.. Try the cursing jar. I might have to try that when my time comes. Good luck.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:00 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I cuss, but not as much as i used too.
    Kids have no business using curse words.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• oh they usually get grounded to their rooms for the rest of the day...
    evilstepmother1

Answer by evilstepmother1 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Nobody at our house used ugly cuss words or the F word. But when my kids were in college, a few times they used the "F" word and I suggested that nobody would respect them if they continued to do it . By then they were too old to be sent to their rooms.
    If they had used bad language when they were younger, you can bet I would have grounded them. I grounded them for other reasons too and they are really mature responsible adults now---so I guess I did something right. :-) Neither their Dad or I ever used cuss words or filthy words. I just can't say them.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You know after going through three teens, the words use to bother me at first, then I realized they are just words, and as long they are not directed at me or any other adult I don't have a problem with them. Pick your battles, you already told them you don't like it, but as long as they are not being disrespectful to you, let it be.

Answer by older at 1:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My boys do curse on occassion and I know they do it with their friends. There isn't a punishment for it, I have asked them not to do it and they oblige without getting upset. I've explained to them that I talking that way is a sign of unintelligence, who wants to hire someone in an interview who talks like that? I've also told them its inappropriate to talk that way as though its regular every day language. That seemed to work to just have a simple adult conversation about it, without going overboard. It worked so well that when their friends occassionally "slip up", my boys have said My mom is here and we don't talk like that. Their friends always apologize. I would say try having an adult conversation about the impact of using curse words, I've never told my children they can't speak this way with friends, but not at school, at home or family events.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010