Puppy potty trining tips?

She's a 12 week old pit bull. Very sweet and snuggly. Wer've had her 4 days, and she already pees and poops outside somtimes. I think she's doing great! But I thought it might be helpful to look for some potty training tips here, as well. What worked best for ya'll?

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 9:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pets

• BUMP
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• When we had our puppy I would take a treat outside with us. If the puppy used the bathroom then he got a treat and right inside we went. If he did not use the bathroom he did not get a treat. This way he would know that everytime he used the bathroom he would get a snack and if he didnt he wouldnt. For the most part he made him self go. I hope that works for you! :)
    taylor8203

Answer by taylor8203 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• When my baby goes potty out side I tell her good girl in my high pitched lovey dovey voice. She now runs back to me as if to say "hey look what I did"...
    I use the crate training method. Good luck praise works well for husbands too. When my hubby does good stuff I say "good job at sex honey..."... He just laughs at me.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Don't let them out of your sight. Some people will leash thepuppy to them when inside. Put them on a leash to potty. Potty time is not playtime. Give lots of praise and a special treat for pottying outside. If they start to go inside, yell no, scoop them up and take them outside. Use Nature's Miracle or another enzyme cleaner to clean where they go inside. If you're using a crate, which I recommend, use a partition to make the crate only big enough for them to stand, turn around, and lay down until they are 100% housebroken. If it's too big they will potty in one end and lay in the other. Good luck.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We have a tried and true method for us. Anytime the puppy ate, played, woke up we took him outside. If none of those things happened in an hour we would take him out then. It was irritating for a little bit but only had a handful of accidnets in the house and by they time we had him for a month he was fully trained.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 2:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• take her out after sleeping, eating,playing(even if she was out 15 mins before) . always use the same door. take her out as often as you can until she gets it and tells you. took me 3 wks with our then 8 wk old pup. if i didnt get her out after any of those things he would pee inside.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2010