I wonder if the DFCS office would allow people from the community who are qualified to host nutritional classes for people on assistance? I also wonder if that would be benefitial or to help it to become mandatory?

Like maybe if we were to get some of the nutritional coaches from WIC or other places to offer services and maybe even to certify people who would like to volunteer, so that we COULD teach people on government assistance the necessities of budgeting and eating (and preparing meals) in a more healthy way?

Community involvement could be a huge factor in making a difference. :)

Everyone always says how they should require this... I wonder what would happen if we became more proactive about the issue at hand? :)

And I say this as a person on FS myself. So no, I am NOT bashing anyone. Just curious if it might be benefitial to others.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 9:38 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know about making it mandatory for people on assistance, but why not make a class like that available to a whole community? It's not as if people on PA are the only ones that are eating unhealthy. If someone were to offer a free class on something like that for a whole community there wouldn't be a stigma attached to it and helpful information would be available to a wider variety of citizens. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• the only problem with that, Snickers Bars taste really really good. And so does ice cream, and potato chips, and Doritos.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I know someone who was on WIC and she was the sterotypical "user" and she had all kinds of excuses why she shouldnt have to go to the classes. THe main excuse was no childcare. I think you would have to address that issue but getting the information out there would be great! I think htey should have to go to a class oncea month, maybe on job coaching, healthy meal planning, budgeting, family planning, discipline...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I wish there was something like that. Some people really need guidence
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 9:49 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think most Americans need this guidance, not just those on assistance.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Well,GL memigen, I know your thoughts and intentions are good. I however, have given up on the US population when it comes to being healthy as a majority. I shop at WM for about a third of what we need, and am seeing more and more scooters being used. My son says we are a Nation of Wall-E's ( I don't get it) and the scooter used to be there to help the disabled. Now, the scooter for disabling the shopper. How fat do you have to be, to want to shop by scooter and not because of a disability. I see people literally walk into the store, hop in a scooter and then walk back out to the car. Do we need WM Scooter police? We cannot even excercise while shopping, we gotta sit and shop by choice? Granted I live in the southeast where it is the worst, more than half the people here I would consider OBESE. And more than half of all the female teenagers I see here are also. I'm convinced 50 percent nationwide will obese SOON.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Many people on assistance (and people who are not) dont want to be taught better nutrition. There's TONS of free information about nutrition on the internet & in libraries & most of the population does not access it. They just dont care. You could try to make it mandatory but if its voluntary to attend hardly anybody would.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• In the movie Wall-E, there were "people of the future" who were so obese they traveled on those scooter cart things and never walked----thus, your son's comment,JJB. He sure got that right.
    It is so depressing to see obese people on carts --even in health food stores. I was shopping for gluten-free food (my daughter has Celiac disease) and saw TWO women in those scooters, with oxygen attached to their noses, so fat it was shocking.
    WHen will people learn?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Not everyone on welfare/food stamps is an idiot. Sure a lot of times poverty and ignorance go hand in hand, but, I was on WIC and food stamps when I was younger and a young mom. I am educated, I am aware of the 4 food groups. I am also aware of financial wellness. I think I would find it incredibly insulting to be forced to sit through a 6th grade health class in order to get the assistance I needed at the time. I was on it because my DH decided after 15 yrs of marriage alcohol was more important than family and his job. So I found myself divorced with no child support and looking for a decent job..which I found...using afore mentioned education. People are fat and lazy and ignorant because they choose to be. They don't care! No food group nutrition class is going to make a difference, especially when the students are held in class at "gun point".
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It would be beneficial to some, but if something like that were in place, it should definitely be optional. Not everyone on government assistance has no idea about budgeting or nutrition and if I were on any sort of government assistance I'd find it kind of embarrassing if I were treated as though I was ignorant about nutrition. It's not a bad idea to have the option for those who need the help, though.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2010