how many parents of teens

How many of parents of teens think it is okay for them to be out at parties where there is alcohol whether they are drinking or not, supervised or not. Do parents really think this is okay or do they just not want to battle it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think it's ok for teens to be at parties where there is alcohol. I also don't think they should be at parties that are unsupervised. There was an article in our paper a few weeks ago where a dad let his teen have a party with alcohol. Everyone got smashed, others showed up, a fight broke out and someone got killed. Now the father is in trouble too.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Like teen parties where the parents let them drink? Totally NO WAY, the temptation and peer pressure with other teens drinking is too great. If you are talking about like family parties where the alcohol is served for adults but there are teens also there, I think it depends on how well you trust the adults to supervise. When I was a teen I had a friend whose parents who would let us have drinking parties, the mom always took our keys on the way in and I thought they were the coolest parents, now that I have a teen I would never let them drink here! There have actually been alot of cases around here where teens are drinking at one of their homes then leave and die in car accidents. Truthfully I think the parents who serve should be charged as accessories to the murder charges the drunk kid faces!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I should clarify my answer. I don't think they should be at parties where adults are allowing them to drink. I think it's ok for them to be at a party where alcohol is being served to adults as long as the adults aren't getting trashed and there are responsible adults supervising the teens.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I see so many parents who allow this and wish one who does would explain to me why? Do they just pretend they don't know or what?
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's ok at all but, my daughter is 18 and I can tell her how I feel about it but, the choice is ultimately hers to make. But my 13 year old son on the other hand, No way he would be allowed to go to a party where there is alcohol being served to anyone unless I am there also!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I do not permit my daughter to be at a party if I know there will be drinking. She knows if it comes about after she is there, she is supposed to call us to pick her up. I trust her but don't want her to be around it. It asking for trouble to be around it when there are teens involved. I don't trust the supervision if that adult is serving or allowing alcohol.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• No I don't agree with this. There is a drinking age for a reason, there way too young to deal with the issues of alcohol. Alcohol and they feelings it can bring is way too much for a teen.
    Medcod

Answer by Medcod at 6:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• somebody has to have a teen that is allowed to go because these parties do exist. I am wondering whose kids those are and why no one on here seems to be one of them or at least doesn't explain why they allow it. I really don't want to bash them just understand the thought process.
    Anonymous

• I have 4 teens and they do not go to parties with alcohol. I don't fight them on this they just don't go. They hang out with good kids that don't party and act stupid so for us it is not an issue. My 16 year old boys are freshmen in college so they are all about education. We are raising our kids to succeed. Being a drunken fool and hanging out at parties is not something that will lead to success.  I expect certain things from my kids and they tend to do what is expected.  We started young and have 10 very well behaved kids. 

Anonymous

• Do you want your child to get arrested. Guilt by association. It happened to my daughter. It scared her enough to keep her out of trouble after that but sometimes I wonder if it was worth it. Try to help her come up with fun alternatives.
    Anonymous