What do you get the toddler who has everything?

Thanks to her nearly 4 year old sister, my 18 month old DD has nearly every toy I can think of she would be interested in. With Christmas coming, I've found plenty of new and interesting things for DD1 but I'm at a loss for DD 2. I've been shopping for months and when I went to sort through the presents last night DD 1 has many more gifts than DD2. DD2's was pretty much clothes, which isn't very exciting for an 18 month old lol.

So who else has DD's about 2 years apart, and how or what did you do in this situation. Thanks for your help!

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 9:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• play dough- always turning to play rock

get together your old clothes, some from thrift store etc, make a dress up box full of fun things to play dress with, each special dress, scarf, shoes etc can be sprend out into more gifts, not just in one gift box

a vanity to go along with dress up play

if you are crafty, make an indoor playhouse from a huge cardboard box
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would find a HUGE cardboard box, and decorate it for her, like a castle or whatever. I swear, you can think for hours about what you want to get them , and in the end, the box is always more fun for them LOL
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Books
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• dvds of favorite shows?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't have this situation but one suggestion would be when dd1 is done with a toy or outgrown it put it away for birthday's and christmas presents. I remember when my dd was young she had so much and alot was like brand new when I gave it away. It can save you money and at least for a while (seeing dd2 is so young) she will not really know that it is from her older sister.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My 2 year-old has a huge library too. Although she likes the same 3 books read to her repeatedly.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• sorry, I was typing while you posted that they both play with the same toys.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Not a problem I have but depending on what you have a play kitchen. Don't know what yoru budget is but Ikea has a wonderful if slightly expensive kitchen but their play food is plush and the little cookwear stuff are all metal which is just so nice in toys.
    Otherwise even though they're daughters my daughter who is three loves toy cars so if they don't have them or might be itnerested a hot wheels and a playmat, which is not only different but totally shareable. Or a traintable perhaps.
    A craftbox with odds and ends of ribbon and paper and all those little thigns that make it fun.
    The dressup idea is great. I don't really go for big dress ups I more have fabric odds and ends and then any interesting material or patterns of whatnot of clothes that I find at our local thrift store and my three year old is totally happy with that.
    Any craft projects you can do together too might be good. Shirts/aprons to paint for Father's day,ec
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 10:47 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• well if you just hand down toys from DD1 then just wrap them up and give them to DD2
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• They have a library full of books, but they are still getting more. :) Sorry, I should have mentioned that. We're big on books here. But thank you :)
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2010