What would it take for Texas (or another state) to secede from the union if Obama wins?

What will the citizens have to do to get this to happen? Just curious!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• good question and I honestly do not know the answer to that question. I'd like to know to just for curious sake.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Abe Lincoln would be disgusted by the thought. The Civil War, contrary to popular belief, was NOT fought to free the slaves. It was fought to stop secession. Mr. Lincoln would disavow his party.

What it would take? A declaration from the state's legislature and governor that they were seceding. A plan for self-support in finances (bye-bye all federal dollars; what would that mean for employment?). A plan for your own national defense. Evacuation of all US military facilities and dependents in the state of Texas (and what could that mean to your economy?)....they can't stay until/unless treaties are set up.

There are a lot of things to be thought about before anyone secedes.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It would be the same if any president won. There is no way!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Texas is the only state that can do it. None of the others can. I don't remember the reasoning though, my brother sent it to me in an e-mail a while back. Something about Texas came into the US differently than all the other states.
    I don't know what it would take to do so either but it's extrememlt unlikely.
    ilovemyjoes

Answer by ilovemyjoes at 2:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I mean really. People are acting like Obama has killed numerous amounts of people, sold drugs to kids, rapes and abuses women and all other kinds of crazy stuff and trying to become president. He is none of that. It's fine that people don't agree with him, but trying to secede is a little ridiculous. Why should someone feel the need to want to secede? He is not the only person that has ran for president that many people didn't agree with. No one was trying to secede when Bush one his second term. (oh, except for Alaska)
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 2:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Oklahoma has it set up for secession if martial law is called. I do not know what was involved in this prosess.
    JustAnotherMama

Answer by JustAnotherMama at 2:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Texas was it's own country at first, that's why it can leave the USA. but like stated above, Texas would basically become 3rd world if it tried so it's probably a really dumb idea.
    Anonymous

• Citizens need to keep the pressure on their state government. Don't let them get too comfortable with giving away states's rights. The government must start taking away the rights of the states for them to secede. Not many state governments have the balls to do this. We in the south tried it once and now many governments down here are afraid to try again. We are still paying for that. The government is already infringing on states rights. Alaska has talked about secession, Oklahoma has sent the federal government a cease and desist notification, Arizona has talked about secession, Vermont is talking about secession. The League of the South is growing by leaps and bounds and chapters opening all across the country. The federal government has overstepped its limits.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 2:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• JustanotherMama- How did you find out about this? Can you PM me any info on that?
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Wow..what a patriotic though..
    Kinda reminds me of those in Alaska who no longer want to be associated with the U.S.
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 2:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2008