Awkward moment at work, what would u do?

I guess this coworker of mine didn't realize I was married, but he and I were really getting along and I just figured he was a cool guy and saw him as a friend. He never inquired about if I was involved and apparently never saw my rings, but after about a month of just friendly chit-chatting and a few laughs at the office, I get flowers delivered to me.

I thought it was a nice suprise from my DH, but...nuh-uh...it was this guy at work. I felt so bad. He was hoping I'd be all excited and looked so mortified when I told him I'm happily married. He knew I had kids, but assumed I was a single mom. He was apparently going to ask me out to a show and dinner this weekend and now he's embarrassed.

Hoo-boy. What do I do? He's too embarrassed to talk to me now and I just want him to know everything's alright and that I am flattered that he sees me that way, but... I can't return it.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 10:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• Whenever you see him, just give him a smile and a friendly hello. Don't talk about this to anyone at work. That's what he's probably afraid of, that you'll laugh behind his back. After a little while, things should be fine. He's just embarassed right now.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Awkward...for sure. I admire that you honor your marriage and well wishing it all works out.
    VGonzalez73

Answer by VGonzalez73 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think he knows you can't return it. Just give him some time and things will be fine.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• He knew you had kids, but thought you were a single Mom? Strange he didn't notice your wedding ring after a month...
    I also admire that you honor your marriage.
    Brandym3c

Answer by Brandym3c at 10:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You would think he would have looked at your hand, just to make sure. Once the shock is wore off just tell him you can still be friends. Good luck.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Wow, that is like the first thing a guy asks is if you are taken or married. I feel sorry for him because he sounds very naive in this day and age.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would act as if nothing happened, try to go up to him and talk about something that you would have talked about before but keep it short so he isn't too uncomfortable for too long. You shouldn't tell ANYONE from work-that would just be cruel and mention to him that you hope that you can still be friends and that you would prefer if other people didn't know about the whole incident just so he knows that you aren't running around telling everyone. Poor guy, he sounds like he doesn't go out dating much if he sent you flowers BEFORE he asked you out and he never thought to look for a wedding ring. I feel really bad for this guy.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Maybe send him a small bouqet of flowers or an edible arrangement [strawberry free, lol - too "sexual" of a fruit to some people] with a note that says, ' You're a wonderful person and I hope we can stay wonderful friends' :) or something along those words. :) Make sure you tell your husband (I'm sure you already ahve about the flowers anyhow) so he knows why you've done this also.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yeah, he's a really sweet guy. Maybe I'll introduce him to my sister or some single friends of mine?
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Nov. 10, 2010