Thoughts on this statement

"We should understand that Social Security was intended primarily to prevent old widows from becoming destitute. Life expectancy in 1935 was only about 65, when there were several workers for each Social Security recipient. The program was never intended to be a general transfer payment from young workers to older retirees, regardless of those retirees’ financial need. Yet today Social Security faces an unfunded liability of approximately $18 trillion."

If you can tell me who said it, I'll give BA to the first one to figure it out ... after it's been discussed.

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds like Ron Paul to me.

*shrug* I don't think it matters. We have what we have, and we have to work with it.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• the author's point is that we can't afford to use it the way it is used now.

I agree..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Nope. If we want a fair, equitable, and sustainable system, what's in place now has to be scrapped. We've moved so far from the ideals of liberty and equality I don't think it's possible to just go back.

I think the government should be in charge of just a couple of things - anything that turns human life into a commodity, things that make the society more productive, and the government should be the only group that is allowed to commit acts of violence. As it stands now, the government has got it's tentacles in all sorts of crap that doesn't do society any benefit, and in the process creates inequality and division.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I agree with the author.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I vaguely remember a few conservative moms saying that almost exact same thing on this very website more than once.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't know who said it. But conservatives have been saying this for years, as well as economists that lean right, and financial advisers. GL with your posts, sounds like fun.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Not sure who said it but SS is in a world of hurt.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Greenspan
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• nope
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010