If you get food stamps or ever did- were you also working at the time?

I'm so damn sick and tired of people assuming that if you use food stamps you are sitting on your lazy ass eating doritos and driking Pepsi. I got food stamps for 3 years when my oldest was little and guess what... I WORKED A FULL TIME JOB THE ENTIRE TIME. I didn't use YOUR precious tax dollars to buy twinkies for dinner or sit on my couch all day long watching game shows- I worked my ass off as do the MAJORITY of people who get food stamps.

So how about it- were you/are you working and getting food stamps or were you/are you a good for nothing free loader who mooches off the tax payers and doesn't have the intelligence to know an apple is better than a cupcake?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• About 80% of people recieving food assistance in the US are employed.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have been working the same job for about six years now.. full time. At this point in time, I need a little help, so yes I'm on food stamps.. but I work every single day!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i am not working, but i am trying to get foodstamps. my husband is pulling 49 hours at his job at ten dollars an hour and we are barely making it with a family of 5. our children are all under 5 so daycare would cost as much as a down payment for a house each month, it makes more sense for me to stay home with them. however, it is a struggle and we find ourselves in the negative every month, even after careful budgeting and scrimping and saving every last penny. so if and when we get approved for fs, yea, i'll be sitting at home everyday until atleast 2 of my kids are in school, but i wont be wasting my precious free grocery money on shit. i will be thankful for having the assistance to put real food on the table to fill my family's tummies. i do, however, think it is okay for people on assistance to splurge from time to time. just because you get FS, doesnt mean you shouldnt be allowed the same as people not on it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I work, I get them... but you jumped me when you didn't see the GOOd intention in my previous post... so please from now on make sure you don't automatically judge others as well. :)

Also, you must not have read the ending of my post when I made it where it said, "And I say this as a person on FS myself. So no, I am NOT bashing anyone. Just curious if it might be benefitial to others."

Thanks! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• years back, i was working and got food stamps, i got WAY more than i could ever use, while a woman i knew had two kids, another on the way and she was not working and always was short on stamps at end of month, i would give her my extra stamps (back when not a card to swipe) and YES, i know it is against the "law" to do so. she had two kids and pregnant, and not working. it was just me, no kids and i was working, but i got more stamps than her??

i think i have to be anon on this one because it was against the law
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I work full time and have a baby with another on the way but I don't qualify for food stamps even though I could really use them. Just from my personal experience, I witnessed one lady who abused the system and DIDN'T work - so I got a negative view on food stamp user right away (just from her). I reported her and nothing - but that's our government for ya! Then there are people who have them and NEED them and use them properly.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You tell them, Ive tried to get food stamps several times. They always say we have made too much! Even when my husband was a server making 2.71 an hour plus tips. Anyhow, it used to piss me off because ever time we would go to the office, EVERY single car that was parked there was brand new with rims, or lowered or just way expensive. We were driving the smallest 2 door Oldsmobile ghetto ass car but yet they were approved and we were not. Made me so angry. What can you do I guess. :) I don't think there is anything wrong with needing help. BUT another story that pisses me off. My SIL lived with us with her lazy ass husband. Neither of them had a job, so they were living with us for free. They got 470 bucks a month, just for the 2 of them!! THATS way too much!!! The were always "hurting" at the end of the month too cause the used it all. The bought there own food and hide it in there room.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We have never been on WIC or Foodstamps. My dh and I have always worked, even worked while going to school. We received our education and waited to have our son till he was affordable. After our son was born, we never thought to go and get any type of help. But we both grew up in families that if you can work, you better work. My cousin stays home while receiving wic, foodstamps, and state insurance. NOW that is abusing th system! My husband and I have always paid our way, never accepted help even through unemployment. But we had savings for emergencies and I just picked up more hours. My dh also took any job at the time as well until a job in his field opened up.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I understand that you aren't trying to bash those of us who don't work and yet get foodstamps, you're just frustrated and I completely understand. I don't work, I was fired when my boss found out I was pregnant because I was a "liability" issue and I just decided to be a SAHM because what paycheck I could get would go to paying daycare and we'd be right where we are now but I would be missing my son grow. My husband busts his ass off (bless his heart) and I know what it's like to go hungry, my mother was a single mom who worked at a plant for 12 hours and would then clean houses on the side and yet we could never make ends met. Sometimes, no matter how hard you work and pray, you just need help, and no one should ever be condemned for that. I have no shame for getting FS, I don't plan on using them for forever but I'm damn grateful that we get them and that my family gets a warm meal every night. No one should ever go without
    little_lion

Answer by little_lion at 11:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I went to college, worked and took care of my daughter as a single mother. Yes, I had food stamps back then at the same time. I am not proud of it, but I was doing what has brought me to the point not to need them now. I only recieved food stamps for ten months before becoming a full time employee.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2010