13 month old gagging himself

My 13 month old has started chewing food up and spitting it out and playing with it. And lately he has been putting his hand in his mouth and making himself throw up. Should I be concerned?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is three and she was doing that for awhile too. We kept trying to tell her not to do it and she didn't get it so we finally ended up if she gagged herself and puked she would be cleaned up and removed from the table and sent to her bed. Eventually she realized she didn't like that so she stopped. We still have to remind her to chew and swallow though befor enext bite toherwise sometimes she'll choke herself that way.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 10:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My DS was 13mo when he figured it out... but my son just thought his reflex was hilarious. He never actually puked, just gagged himself. He's been over that a while now.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Mine does that and he's almost 10 months old. I dont know what it is either!
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Not at all my older kids did it. He is probably getting teeth in the back and his gums are itching so he's not intentionally gagging himself but trying to get his fingers in the back of his mouth not knowing he has a gag reflex-lol! Jus try to give him things he can chew on, As far as playing with his food my youngest son is 15 months and he does that now. The Pediatrician said it's just a texture thing because babies learn alot by feel and sometimes after they pull the chewed food out of their mouths it "feels" different and they don't want to put it back in their mouth.
    NextLevelMom

Answer by NextLevelMom at 10:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Now that you mention it, my kids did this too. I don't remember how long it lasted. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Normal.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2010