How have you moms dealt with...

Head Lice...My daughter came home from school a few weeks ago with Head Lice. It was a huge ordeal, but we got it under control...or so I thought...This morning I found another Louse on her head. Do any of you have any trick or tips to get rid of Lice for good or how to prevent from it coming back?

Mama_G312

Asked by Mama_G312 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• If she's getting it from school, then there really is no way to avoid it other than not sharing hair things, not having coats/hats and scarves in close proximity to one another and so on. When doing the treatment, you have to make sure that you get the nits/eggs off the hair strands or they will hatch and you'll have actual lice again. Wash everything- all clothing bedding, stuffed animals, furniture, curtains, pets, carpets and so on.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:04 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Not sure about removal, I haven't had the displeasure of dealing w/lice. To prevent it though they supposedly don't like the smell of tea tree oil.
    You can get some tea tree oil shampoo or the oil itself. I bought a bottle when lice was going around here. I put it in a spray bottle and sprayed a little bit on my daughters hair & combed through. That was about a year ago...no lice thus far. (knock on wood, lol).
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 11:05 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• There isn't really a way to prevent it. Don't share hats, keep combs and brushes seperate. And use the lice comb as often as you can. Dry is better. That's what the doctor told me for my daughter. She had lice twice. And she has extremely long hair. Bag everything that you can't wash and dry at high heat for 2 wks. And use lice spray on car seats and couches, pillows. Anything you can think of that they are around. Good luck.
    ShellieK10

Answer by ShellieK10 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• First get some golves then get a hair brosh and then brush them al done. After you get done with. That get shapoo and just rincet and that shold do the trick
    sweetmommy26778

Answer by sweetmommy26778 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yep. Lice shampoo, nit comb, keep her things separate, put tea tree oil in her hats/scarves/coat/ etc, wash everything. If she isn't opposed, shorter hair is easier.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 4:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My DD had lice for quite some time and nothing was working. I was SOOO MAD!!!!!!! I went to RiteAid and they had a generic brand called 'Lice Freee', spelling is correct. I said why not, nothing else has worked. ONE treatment later we were lice free!!!!!
    unicornnymph22

Answer by unicornnymph22 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• clean, clean, clean!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Ugh....I feel for you mama. I haven't had to deal with it yet but with the amount of cases springing up I'm pretty sure the chore will be right down the road a piece for me o.O

Good luck...I'll keep my eye on this post for when my "turn" comes round.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Nope. Best of luck, though.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• tea tree oil...look it up..works wounders for alot of other stuff too..and its realy cheap..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2010