Ovulation and Breastfeeding

It has been almost 3.5 months since we cut out all breastfeeding except once at night and once in morning. During this time I had not had a period. As soon as we reduced I started using ovulation predictor kits once a day. Every day nothing, nothing, then I started to get a faint line and gradually got darker until November 1st I got a POSTIVE!
Do you think this is a good sign? Or is it possible this was a false positive? I plan to use a HPT around November 18th.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• It could have been a false positive or it may have been the real deal. There's really no way of knowing until you get a positive pregnancy test or a period.

The problem with OPKs is that they can give false positives because it doesn't actually detect ovulation. It detects the LH surge that preceeds ovulation. The problem is that you can have an LH surge without ovulating.

This happens to be more prevelant in breastfeeding women, women of advanced maternal age and women coming off of birth control. Since you fall into one of those categories it could have been a false positive.

I would highly recommend you get the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility and learn to chart. It will be much for efficent and there will be no guessing.

I'm breastfeeding too. My first ovulation since having my son 16 months ago occured a little over a week. I know FOR SURE I ovulated because I chart CM, BBT, and CP.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2010