Question about cloth diapering.. stinky and hard water!

At first they only smelled in the dry bag if they'd been there for a few hours before washing.. I wash every day.

Now they stink when my son pees in them.. even just a little tiny bit!

We have hard water. I've tried hot water, double and triple rinsing in hot water, calgon, borax, using less soap (all natural soap), vinegar and baking soda..

I had small success with vinegar in the wash and baking soda in the second wash but I had to dump half the gallon container of vinegar in the wash and half the container of baking soda! Vinegar isn't that cheap, the baking soda I could do.

Is there anything else I can try? '

Maybe I'm not using enough calgon or boorax, I use 2 capfulls in half a load of laundry.

Is there a type of soap I should try?

My poor little baby stinks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• from my experience dont use borax because it contains baking soda and baking soda will remain in the diapers. I had the same issue as you from hard water and the smell just got worse and worse untill my son ended up with amonia burns on his bottom. I stopped using cloth untill I moved and I stripped them a million times and nothing worked for stripping untill I used hot water, oxiclean, and vinager. Make sure its well ventalated because it steams up and stuff and I left it soaking in it over night then rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse. I now use just regular powder tide and have not had any issues unless I forget to rinse before washing. Good luck I know how frusterating it is
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 4:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'd soak them in borax or washing soda and water while they are waiting for the wash. I don't cloth diaper but I use cloth wipes and I keep a large tupperware bowl with water and washing soda (about a tablespoon) and soak them until I do the next load of laundry. Perhaps you can also start using an insert in the cloth diaper
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2010