Homeschool moms

I need some input if you will please. I'm debating if hubby and I should homeschool. I guess what I would like to know is, what was the process you had to do in order to homeschool? What curriculum do you use? Did you get a choice in choosing the curriculum? When done with homeschool, will your child(ren) have a diploma or G.E.D.? Anything else you have input on, please do so.

I'm in Ohio if that matters.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I guess what I would like to know is, what was the process you had to do in order to homeschool? This is different for each state.

What curriculum do you use? We use a mix of things.

Did you get a choice in choosing the curriculum? Yes....

When done with homeschool, will your child(ren) have a diploma or G.E.D.? I can print up a diploma if I want to.They might take the GED?

Anything else you have input on, please do so. You will want to check out your state laws, try www.hslda.org . Check yahoo groups or google for a homeschool group in your area. Local HSing parents are a wonderful source of info!

mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If you don't have an answer for me, can you please bump? Thanks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We are looking into the same thing right now... YOu may find this site informative.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I was homeschooled an plan on homeschooling my boys. My mom had to mail off my grades to the state, and record all of my schooing hours to show that I was being schooled, not just sitting at home. Various states have different requirements, and you need to go to that state's law website and look up homeschooling, or just call a local school and ask what the legal requirements are for your state. I would take my P.S.A.T.'s with a local school, not at home, and we joined a local h.s. group which allowed me a lot of time with other kids. I am going to use "Saxon" math becuase it explains step by step and the why's of each step... I am going to use "A-Becka" science books, Rod and Staff's English course, the "Spalding method of the "Writing Road to Reading." because it teaches phonetics in audio, visual, mechanical, and pretty much all methods of learning. Rosetta Stone for their foreign languages, I am not (continued)
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 1:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• using a curriculum for their art, Health will be through A'Becka," as well as Social Studies. History is not decided, I have to do more research, but I will supplement actual historical documents in whatever I use, or I might write my own curriculum for history. I plan on enrolling them in misc. extracurricular activities like cub scouts and boy scouts, as well as other misc. things... From what I have researched these are what I want to do.... Hope this helps!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 1:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010