How many Grandmothers babysit their grandbabies, while the mother is working?

What would you prefer: (1) Babysit your grandchildren while mother is working, or (2) Grandchildren is better off at daycare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My mom watched my dd alot when she was 3 to 4. it was usually great but we always had the issue of us doing stuff different and she did whatever she wanted when dd was in her care (it was safe jus tnot what I would have done) and I didnt say much because she was watching dd for free and helping me. I see that being an issue alot with my friends too.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• we do both, my mom watches him 2 days a week, he goes to school the other 3
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I was very lucky to find 2 terrific daycares while I was working and preferred to have dd in there. We lived hours away from my parents so grandma's house was out of the question but I loved how she learned to stand up for herself, learn about her skeleton, and things like that. I love my mom dearly but she had a job also and I coudn't ask her to watch dd while I worked. I also didn't want to run into any differences in parenting or rules to keep everything low stress. A coworker had her mom watch hers and it led to some issues.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My Mom will watch my daughter while my husband and I work and my husband will watch her until I get home. I think daycare a day or two a week would be a great idea too so she can be around other children and get used to a "school" envoirnment.
    NewMommie333

Answer by NewMommie333 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I did both with my children and daycare was better. When I was pregnant with my 1st child I worked in an office. Right before my due date my mil decided that SHE would babysit and told me "don't pay a daycare I will watch the baby while you work". That did not work out very well at all. She knew I needed a sitter for Tuesdays AND Thursdays and yet she would call me last minute and say " I can't on this Tuesday as I have X. I can't on this Thursday I am going to X" So a lot of times I was left in a lurch and scrambling to find a sitter. Plus I had other issues with her (trust, food, etc) as well. When I quit that job and found my work at home job I put my kids in daycare 2 mornings a week- mostly for social interaction and the preschool program they offered. The daycare center is right on the corner near my house (not across town like mil) and they took excellent care of my children (much better than mil did).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2010