Did you ever have the feeling

that you had started dilating? For the past week or so when I wipe after I pee it's a little sore (not bad) and feels kind of swollen. This is my first so I have no idea what that means, or if it has anything to do with dilating. I know it's not from sex because I haven't done anything for a couple weeks. I'm 34 weeks pregnant by the way. If I ask the doctor to check in two weeks at my appointment what will they do to tell?

ours

Asked by ours at 2:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Being pregnant you are swollen, you have extra blood flowing to your most intimate parts (which is why some women report increased sensitivity and sex being more or less enjoyable) Dilation is up inside at the cervix, verses when you wipe you're wiping your labia and exterior. Good luck Momma! Definitely ask if you're in any severe discomfort or if you're worried.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I agree with Serafyna. It doesn't necessarily mean you are dilating. I had that swollen feeling really bad with my first and sorta with my others. It's very uncomfortable. Try laying down and putting your feet up for a bit. Maybe that will help.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 3:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• When you ask "if I ask my doctor to check, what will they do to tell?", are you meaning what do they do to tell if you're dilated? If so, the doctor will do a physical exam (with his hand) to feel your cervix. It's uncomfortable, but not painful. It's not even as bad as a pap smear. Good luck & congrats!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 3:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• the exam is done with the dr's fingers its not painful or anything like that. but in most cases i think swelling is natural i have never dialated but have swollen with all 3 girls
    CiffsWife

Answer by CiffsWife at 6:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2008