Is it normal to start losing your patience more with your toddler nursing?

I love to nurse him, but I have started to feel impatient a lot more now when he nurses.

Like in the mornings when we get up he won't stay on me but he keeps waking me up to initiate nursing. I finally get irritated and just get us up even if he will want to go back to sleep for another 45 minutes or so.

I also get impatient with him wanting to nurse to sleep for an hour and I put him in his crib for a while to get him to "get the drift" that it's time for bed. I go get him when he stops playing and starts to make really unhappy/tired sounds for a minute or so and I go get him and usually he's asleep in my arms before I can nurse him again. Is that CIO? I never would've done that when he was younger.

I also find myself scolding him with a very stern voice when he unlatches/latches painfully, sometimes even yelling out a bit where I used to be more patient.

He is almost 2.

Normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah, I get a little irritated with my 1 year old, scold her when she latches wrong, and get fed up with her when she's too distracted to nurse. But nothing good comes from losing my patience, and I figure she'll eventually get hungry enough to pay attention. It sounds like you might benefit from doing some sleep training. As for weaning of course that is up to you.

@Katie - there actually is always nutrition in breast milk. The A.A.P. recommends bf'ing for at least a year and then for as long as is mutually desired by mother and child. The W.H.O. recommends bf'ing for at least the first 2 years. Studies done on primates as a whole indicate that humans naturally breastfed for 3-5 years before societal and cultural pressures changed that. As for low iron in breast milk, there doesn't need to be a ton of iron in it, because what is there is absorbed by the infant much better than in meat or plant sources.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 1:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• for one i do not agree with nursing a child till he/she is two. there's no nutrition in it after a year, and they get food and regular milk after 18 months mostly so why are you still nursing? if your no longer comfortable then you need to stop. at this point it's probably safe to say you are just a human pasiphire.
    katie201005

Answer by katie201005 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Only one suggestion, just leave him in his crib after playing and during those tired sounds. This way he can learn to put himself to sleep. He is probably so close already when you go pick him up.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yeah... normal. It sounds like he's not nursing for food anymore and just using you for comfort or out of boredom, or because that is what he's used to.
    If nursing is no longer good for both of you, then it's time to stop.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010