My 15 month old daughter always loved taking a bath now all of a sudden she is petrified of it any ideas why this could happen? And has any one else gone through this?

TaylorBuz

Asked by TaylorBuz at 2:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter went through the same thing at about the same age. Nothing happened that would've made her afraid of bath time. It was just a phase. One day she got into the tub and enjoyed bath time again. Kids are just weird that way.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 3:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I haven't gone through this (yet) but I understand it's very common.
    There are so many things that can cause it - a splash in the face, noticing the water going down the drain, choking on a mouthful of water, who knows what!
    From what I've read, the best thing to do is to respect her fear. See if she will get in the tub with no water. Then you can give her a sponge bath while she plays with a toy or two. If not, then just give her sponge bath some place else. Ask every night if she wants to take a tub bath or a sponge bath. Give her chances to splash and play with water during the day. She'll come around eventually.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• my daughter went through this when she was 9 months old, she is 13 months old now and she is just fine. for about a month, she would take a bath in the kitchen sink. i would make it fun for her to splash around, and eventually she wanted more room to play. now, she LOVES the bath tub.
    but i think what freaked her out in the first place was how loud the water was when i turned it on. it is just a phase. =D thank goodness.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 5:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• maybe she has got scared or got her face under the water my 2 year old done this at 11 months old i put her in the tub with me and set her by herself as much as possible and played with her she was skiddish about it for a day or so but the next day i put her in by herself and set there and played with her,and she was fine again.make sure the water is already ran b4 u put her in maybe she is scared of that.my 16 month old is scared of that.
    CiffsWife

Answer by CiffsWife at 6:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Same thing happened to me that happened with first poster. Kids just go through wierd phases. I hope they come out of it for your sake!! I know how frustrating it can be :)
    treyco

Answer by treyco at 7:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My oldest twin did this also but he was 2 at the time. What I did (since he is a lil boy) I put my swim suit on and sat in the tub with him and then had SO take a bath with him also, and a couple of times of that he was craving the tub again! That is what worked for us.
    sammyjnrtwins06

Answer by sammyjnrtwins06 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• That is what I started doing - I have been taking a bath with her with my bathing suit on LMAO...
    TaylorBuz

Answer by TaylorBuz at 3:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2008