is it ok to pop your child cause they wont go to sleep

He would not go to sleep he was just crying and screaming to get down and, i popped him on the leg a lil too hard i think, is that wrong or what should i do i need help and need to talk to someone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "popped" Is that like a spanking? How old is your son? Just put him in bed and let him cry it out. I dont think spanking will make him go to bed any faster. Probably will make it worse. You dont want him to be scared to go to bed. During the day tire him out more. Good Luck.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Call SOMEONE! ANYONE!! Talk here...the 1st few months can be so incredibly draining and if you are dealing with PPD, even slightly, get help NOW! Call your doctor.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 11:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Well it sound like you were a tired and frustrated mom. I think you already know the answer to this, because you feel guilty about the pop. It's okay, we are all human and we get angry too. What I would do in this situation is shut the door and let him cry, all children of all ages throw fits. I would think that if you ignore his fit and just let it go, he will give up becase there is no response from you, therefore, he will give up eventually. Good luck momma and remember that you are human and need breaks too.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• so you poped a child under a year old who wouldn't go to sleep? I'd say you need better techniques for dealing with your frustration, and no, it is not ok!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Well wtf!! Yah.. how would you like if someone hit you because you wouldn't sleep?!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i do i feel really guilty and ashamed he is a human being and i treated him like he wasnt i was angry and furstared what do i do to stop this anger and not pop him cause he is only a little one please help me find a way conly639 or anyone tell me am i a bad parent
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• No, It is not ok, to do this, did you think hitting him would make him go to sleep? he probably started crying even worse!!!!! You sound frustrated, please seek some relief because if you don't your child will once again pay for it. I would say, you need some kind of help or maybe parenting classes. Please don't do this again, because in reality it only makes things worst.

Answer by older at 11:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My son does the same thing and because we have been in the process of moving he's been sleeping with me he's a 1yr. I know people will say he's not supposed to be sleeping with you... but he does... moving on. Anyway first you want to make sure when it comes do disciplining never do it out of anger or frusteration and it sounds like you did. He's just a little guy and probably can express himself. Sooth him so he knows that bedtime is ok. He's having a problem with it. It seems simple to us but for him it's not. Next time sooth him to sleep so he knows it's ok. After you sooth, then leave him to cry for awhile. He needs to learn that bedtime means sleep and it's ok to go to bed.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i need support not people popping cussing at me thats why i came on here cause i know i done wrong i just dint know how wrong it was i need answers and support please
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We've all made bad choices out of frustration and over tirednesss. I always let my babies cry it out it won't take to long and he'll learn to put his self to sleep. maybe you need sometime try get away if possible to recharge. Good lucky babies are draining sometimes
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 11:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2010