I need to find a way to deliver in the States. I have no insurance in the US.

My husband and I moved to Italy in February of this year. He is a citizen of Italy and we have health coverage under the Italian national system. I am finding more and more things that are making me very uncomfortable with delivering the baby here. I'm in my 32nd week and want desperately to come home to the States to deliver. Unfortunately, I currently have no health care coverage there. I would be grateful for any suggestions you may have. Thanks.

reemiep

Asked by reemiep at 11:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Talk to a hospital and prepay for services. Cost depends on the hospital and what you want.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Different states may be different but mine offer free/low cost insurance to pregnant women
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 11:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Are you a United States citizen?
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Find a Non-Profit hospital.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Are you a us citizen? I would find a non profit hospital or go and have your child, and set up a payment plan.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• What is making you uncomfortable about your care in Italy?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• u are intitled to insurance. go to the hospital and register, they should be able to set u up with insurance there for free or depending on ur income, they will set up something for you.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 1:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• find a good home birth midwife. that will keep your costs low. but then you always have the chance of a transfer to a hospital, which would cost a LOT.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• A midwife would be your safest and best option. It only costs around 5,000.00 (on average) rather than the tens of thousands of dollars hospital births and stays can add up to. Look into birthing centers if you do not have a place to have a home birth over here.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 4:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You could deliver at any hospital if you really wanted to, just tell them you are self-pay when you register and give them an address to send the bill...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2010