I guess I see it the other way ( yes a welfare question)

Everyone always complains that people on welfare are dressed nice and have nice things and yes I know that there are SOME people who do that and ARE using the system... but I think alot of people on the system who look nice or whatnot means that they probably just got on the system, meaning they lost their jobs or fell on hard times... If people look badly, dressed dirty or with "yucky" clothes on.... I think that means they have been on the system for a LONG time, meaning they are the ones who are basically using the system, and has been on it the longest, not trying to make themselves better to get off the system but basically content with being on welfare forever.

I am not trying to cause a "fight" but I figured, if people are going to "blame" others of using the system, why not look at both sides and either blame everyone that you THINK is doing it, or no one at all since you really dont know !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think if you can afford to buy beer and cigs you don't need welfare. There are some people that really need it because they can't make ends meet even working full time.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You can buy nice clothes with brand names at the thrift store or garage sales. You can buy make up & fake nail stuff at the dollar store. Looking nice doesnt equal being wealthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Why stereo-type. So your on welfare you have to look trashy? I've been on welfare and aways dressed nice so did my son. I went to stores that sold nice clothes. Also yes every now and then I brought myself something nice or brought my baby a big toy. It's my money. He always had food in his mouth and clothes on his back.
    Nobody sent me the memo that said because I'm on welfare I have to dress like a bum.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm sorry I've never been on Welfare, so I don't know. But I would assume what people mean when they do complain about it is, that as a person that works their butt off and can barely afford to feed their family or buy clothing, it tends to get discouraging. I know when I when my kids were growing up, both my husband and I worked 40 + hours a week, bought a house, paid our taxes, but were still not able to buy our kids the best clothing, go out to eat etc. It's called budgeting, and I think that's were the problem lies. I cannot understand the welfare system, because I have never used it. I cannot understand food stamps, because I have never used it. I cannot understand why someone shops at the mall every day during the week while I am in my office working to buy what I can afford.

Not criticizing... just explaining the other point of view. This is NOT EVERYONE. But, we all know there are some.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I personally am on welfare right now.. I am not ashamed by it. I need help now.
    I dress very nice.. and my kids dress very nice. Ever heard of goodwill, ebay, yard sales? They have nice things there..
    Just because people dress nice doesn't mean they spend hundreds of dollars worth of clothes every day!

And you can't look at someone and distinguish how long they have been on welfare.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have been on the system for a few years. I still wear nice clothes, wash my kids, dress them nicely, paint my nails wear makeup and yes, I do look out of place at the welfare office. It is a matter of self respect. You don't have to be rich to be clean, and you don't have to be nasty to be on welfare. I am educated, just raising 3 kids on my own with no support. I happen to work 2 jobs and still qualify. You would never pick me out of a crowd as on welfare. I think that is how everyone should be. Dignity!
    Anonymous