How do I get my 3 year old to go to bed on his own w.o. me in there

ashleyalsip

Asked by ashleyalsip at 2:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What do you mean go to bed without you in there? Do you just mean go to sleep, or to actually go in his room, get in bed and cover up on his own? If you mean the second, I have to ask why you would want him to? My kids are 5 and 7 and I still tuck them in every night. I love that time with them, when they are calm and settled and we can be quiet and talk about our days and read a story and stuff. If you mean the first, you just have to be firm and not stay in there with him. If he gets up, put him back to bed w/o talking to him or just saying "go to bed" as you take him. It's tough, but after a couple of weeks he'll get the message.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• girl i have the same problem ..lol .. Its a never ending struggle i swear.. Maybe im just not tuff anough .. I just dont have the tolerance to listen to a shreaking child .. That combined with up and down starting at 8;00pm ---at least 12 am .. I read, sing, play all kinds of games (hide and seek, chase) and take her to play ground and try to exert her energy during the day lol but it doesnt work.. Im so exausted by the end of the day and just pray she will go to bed with out a fight.. lol.. So what i end up doing is turning off all the lights in the house sit in the living room with the discovery channel usually on low low volume.. And shell snuggle up and go to sleep on my lap within about 15 to 30 mins.. Now I know that this isnt the way to get them to bed ... BUT after a long day... I do what it takes ...
    If you find out a way that works PLEASE let me know ... !!!!

~Have a good one~
    lovemyangels2

Answer by lovemyangels2 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• mine r 15 9 2 and 1 two of them still sleep with me but the other i tried there own room and tv i tucked them in everynight kiss them goodnight and they watched tv till they fell asleep.the first week let them know they are a big boy or girl and apploud them for it
    CiffsWife

Answer by CiffsWife at 6:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2008