Worried...morning sickness and weight gain?

I know that everyone says just to eat what you can during the first trimester but I'm past that and still having trouble eating enough to gain any weight. I started figuring it out and I'm only getting anywhere from 1,400 to 1,700 calories a day. I looked it up and I need to be eating over 2,000 to gain anything.

Should I stop trying to choose healthier choices when I CAN eat and go for something with more calories so that I gain some weight for the baby? The only thing making me not worry so much is that my mom only gained 15lbs with me and I was still 7 1/2lbs, born early.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What does your doctor say about your persistent nausea?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Actually, you don't HAVE to gain weight. You do need to eat healthy and need to eat enough to keep you alive and energetic. Don't ditch healthy just to put on a few pounds. That is the opposite of what you need. While it's true you MAY need a few more calories, you don't really need to eat for two, that is a myth. You can continue to eat as you always do and your baby will be just fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You really shouldn't gain but 2-3 lbs during the first trimester anyway. I was sick the entire 9 months for both my 4th and 5th pregnancies. The most I ever gained pregnant was 22 lbs, the least was 12 lbs (I weigh around 120 lbs not pregnant) - they were all born healthy and happy between 7 lbs 7 oz and 8 lbs 9 oz
    Eat a reasonable, healthy diet. Small meals throughout the day. Eating junk just to gain weight doesn't benefit the baby.

Answer by missanc at 12:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• ask your doctor. with my second pregnancy I was sick all day for 5 months.
    I didn't start gaining weight until I was 5 months.
    Good Luck
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010