My PC......

Is my computer the ONLY one that seems to lag cause of the moving adverts on the top and sides of the pages here?

I swear my computer freezes up alot, especially when I go to VOTE UP and some times answer.

Is it the scripts? I just don't know WHY my computer freezes up alot when I'm on CM and I always have to re-boot ( restart ) the pc )

Maybe it's MY pc...not sure. But the pages load SLOW on here.

Any ideas on HOW I may fix it without zapping this thing into next year? LOL

LilyPondOasis

Asked by LilyPondOasis at 12:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Technology

• I recommend downloading Google Chrome. I've had practically zero problems with browsing the internet since I downloaded it.

Another reason it could be freezing up or taking awhile for voting answers is because of your connection. Do you have dial-up or satellite? These two are the slowest moving internet mediums. We live out in the sticks and satellite is the only type of service available here. The lag in voting comes in handy when it's early in the morning before going to work (like now; I need to scoot!) and you can vote on a lot of answers you like at once.

If you have a good internet speed and you're not in the sticks, I'd defrag.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Do you regularly clean your temporary internet files and cookies? Do you have the program CCleaner to get rid of broken/unused registry files (it also cleans temp files and cookies). What browser are you using? If you have Firefox or Google Chrome it has an ad blocker. Spyware and Adware are notorious for making a computer lag.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Or... you can get a Mac. Almost never freezes, gets viruses, or has issues. Yes, they're a little pricier, and you have to "get used to them" if you've always used PCs, but they make sense, and last a whole lot longer than a PC.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 10:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• No answer for you... just my "sisterhood" in this area.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yep.. I clean the files and even use my malaware once every few days. And have content clean up and defrag...etc. too!

Guess I need to get Firefox back...... Ive got IE7........I don't want IE8 cause it messed up before.

Thanks!
    LilyPondOasis

Comment by LilyPondOasis (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My main browser is I guess...Comcasts..I use their page as my Home Page.

Supposively have Norton Antivirus ( yeah right ) but I use the MalawareBytes as my one cleaner on here and it gets rid of any Trojans..etc...not sure HOW accurate that is....but still my pc is slow!
    LilyPondOasis

Comment by LilyPondOasis (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The rollover ads here sometimes lock up my browser. And, cafemom is a lot slower to load than most web sites I visit; this happens on all 3 computers I use.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• As much as I like their adverts.......they need ones that just don't move! LOL I'm thinking I could have a new pc right out of the box and my pc do the same thing.

I've cleaned my cache, got rid of ALOT of unwanted files and websites I no longer visit in my faves, saved them to a jump drive from a folder and still............same thing! I had over 2,000 fave sites, blog sites I saved along with my son! LOL

I guess its something in the scripts? for JAVA? I just dont know.........Im about to zap the pc and start over.......its not just on CM......I can watch a video on You Tube and it freeze after 30 minutes..........but it happens more on here when I go to reply to a question.
    LilyPondOasis

Comment by LilyPondOasis (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• try a system restore , worked for us .. turned out that the laptop .. windows vista is only fitted with a small memory and it was clogged
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• make sure u have copies of things tho if u do it yourself and good luck!!!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2010