Potty Training...Help Me Please!

Been potty training my 2 1/2 year old girl since she was 18 months. She started out with one of those princess potties that sing when you tinkle. She has upgraded to the "on the toilet" style & has even used a portable "on the toilet" seat at the grocery store. She has yet to go #2 on the toilet.

We used to reward her with princess pull-ups if she used the toilet, & have upgraded to underwear. She still wears a diaper at night.

First thing in the morning she goes pee pee on the toilet & gets underwear. Then all day, every 30 to 60 minutes I make her use the toilet...But everyday, 1-3 times a day, she sneaks off to a private place, pops a squat & goes #2.

I make her sit in her highchair in her yucky undies for 5 minutes. After I clean her up, I make her clean up any mess she may have made on the carpet, etc...then she sits on time-out for 2 minutes and gets no favorite snacks for the rest of the day. This is day 10.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ~Original poster

In addition, I have a 6 month old and also watch 2 other children under the age of 2 during the week. I am stretched thin and feel like I clean up poop on an hourly basis.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You absolutely cannot punish dd for pooping her pants if you ever want her to stop. You're teachin her to be ashamed and that is never good. You're teaching her to think little of herself. With kids this young if you want them to do something, you have to do it with rewards and not degrading. Just because you are stretched thin with other small kids doesn't mean you can shame dd into completing potty training at YOUR speed. It takes a lot of coordination both mentally and physically to poop on the potty. She will eventually get the hang of it if you reward her for going in the toliet and don't make her feel bad for an accident. She's not a puppy, you can't rub her nose in it. She' s a little person and should be respected. You're teaching her that if she makes a mistake, she's screwed herself for the day! This can ruin a child's confidence and cause a wealth of problems in coming years. cont.
    Anonymous

• cont. Maybe next time that you make a mistake in life, something that is new to you that you are learning-someone should take away all your fave foods, let you sit in your own waste(that's dispicable and cruel) sit you in time out where you have to be still and silenced and force you to clean up poop(she's too young to do that). So this is day 10? How's that working for ya? Seems to me you're the one who isn't learning quickly...
    Anonymous

• ~Original poster

Wow! That was incredibly harsh. Excuse me for not being born with the knowledge of exactly how to potty train MY daughter. Did it occur to you that children are different? Maybe I'm asking CafeMom because I've already asked my sister, mother, neighbor and friends for help and suggestions and I didn't come up with my present plan all by myself just so that I could dedicate more time to my "other" kids. I am a SAHM for my girls. They are the reason I do everything that I do.

Is there another mom that agrees? Rewards and no punishment?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Does she have a word for both poop and pee? If she doesn't, then she's not ready. I also agree with Anon. You need to reward her for doing what she does GOOD. Then tell her that she should go poo on the toilet. When she does, praise her. She will keep doing it, and you won't have to keep praising her!
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 12:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yes, don't punish her. It's obviously not working.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

• my oldest had a problem going #2 on the toliet too, due to the fact that she was almost always constipated so she never had a spicific time when she would go. so i went to the store and bought her dora underwear and told her that if she pooped on dora that dora would cry. it worked after a while. if she poops every day at the same time try to catch her and put her on the potty when she goes. then reward her big when she does finally poo in the potty.
    katie201005

Answer by katie201005 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• ~Original poster

To the mean lady...What do I do when she poops in her pants and on the floor? Tell her it's ok? Just clean her up and tell her...let's try next time? Again and again and again? If she doesn't know what it feels like to be dirty or wet, how will she know that she doesn't want to be? If I just change her and tell her everything is groovy, it's just like having a diaper change isn't it?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You don't tell her everything is groovy. But you can't be angry with her or make her think bad of herself. Kids respond to praise. Studies show this over and over and I've done this with numerous kids, both my own and kids I have cared for. Try putting a doll on the toliet and the doll "poops" then give the doll a reward and tell dd she can have the same if she poops on the toliet. When she poos her pants and the floor, tell her it was an accident(because it was). She's not purposefully pooping to disobey or make you mad. Kids want nothing more than to please their parents!!! Take advantage of that. When she poops her pants, take her to the bathroom and let her see you place the poop in the toliet. Tell her that's where poop goes. Then clean her up and don't go on about it. Also, let her see you pooping on the toliet. I wasn't trying to be "mean" to you. It just saddens me when parents punish kids while learning.
    Anonymous

• I don't really believe in punishment but I do believe kids do sometimes do things to see what they can get away with, making her sit in it for 5 minutes is harsh, she can get an infection that way and making her clean it is just gross. What if it was trow up, would she have to clean that up too? I am not bashing, i have made plenty of my own mistakes. She will learn this in time. just tell her that pooping on the floor is wrong and that you poop on the toilet. good luck dear.
    katie201005

Answer by katie201005 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2011