Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How to get a grant/student loan for single mom

Im trying to go back to school to finish up my cosmetology license. I have NO idea as to where to start about getting a student loan / grant and what not. I know i can get some sort of govt help being a single mom i just dont have a clue as to where to start. btw i live in TX if that makes any difference

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • Hello, Usually you would contact the school you would go to and they would help you in the process by telling you which forms you would need. I know you could fill out a fasa form online and see if your elligible. I know those are for colleges with dgrees Im not sure about using it to get a certification in something my best advice would be to contact a school you are interested in attending.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • Apply for a pin number, fill out your FAFSA you cant get ANY grant money until you do that...and then contact your financial aid office. DO NOT pay for any FAFSA forms or is a FREE application for Federal AID...grants and other aid is contengent on that application so that would be your first steps!! GL!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • You can go online to fasa and get losts of web sites number and applications for school also go to your school and get an advisor i did and i love my advisor she talked to me and helped me all the way also some advice never pay to recieve any loan or grant money if you go onlie its a scam

    Answer by chanchan522 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • I'm not sure but I know that FAFSA is a federal grant and I don't know if it's the same but I've also heard of the 'Pell grant'?????

    Answer by littlestar85257 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.