My 6 y son found money in the classroom accused of stealing?

I got a note home yesterday and it said "Needed to be taught: He has no right to keep $ found on floor."
This was a substitute, the teacher sent home a print out from the email the substitute had sent him. This is the part of the email that was very upsetting to me; After second recess, I had to have a quick talk with the kids about stealing.Ben found money on the ground, but when another boy said it belonged to him, Ben did not want to give it back because HE (Ben) found it. I told the kids that if something valuable is found on the ground, it should not be kept. Instead it should be given to a teacher who will find out who it belongs to. Hopefully this issue wont come up tomorrow.

I want a meeting with the teacher, my son didn't steal, what should i do?

Actress-mom81

Asked by Actress-mom81 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Your son didn't steal, I consider stealing to be taking something KNOWING that it belongs to someone else, but the teacher is right about turning things in that aren't yours, even if you "found" them. If it belongs to someone else, that person has the right to take it back regardless of who "found" it. Your son is only 6 so it's a little upsetting that the sub or whoever thought he should really know better but I do think your son should learn that he does not have the right to keep things that aren't his even if he found them.
    Anonymous

• It definitely is not stealing if he found it on the floor, but he should be taught that if something like money is found.. it should be turned in.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• This was certainly not stealing. I see the point behind the sub's talk, but it shouldn't have been worded like that.

Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Well, I think that maybe this is an appropriate age to teach kids about lost and found. That sometimes if someone loses something they may want to be sure that it doesn't belong to a person before they keep it. My son is 5. I am told that at this age (4-7) they are just learning to internalize their actions. They know that something doesn't belong to them but they haven't internalized that it's 'wrong' persay. My son was recently caught stealing. He 'found' $20 (unfortunately for him that $20 belonged to me) and took it to school to trade with his friends. My son traded this $20 (that was mine) that he 'found' with another child at school for a trading card. That's right, one trading card $20.... I would be sure to talk to the teacher about the fact that you don't like that she/he accussed your kid of stealing however, i would also think back to when you/we were kids and if we ever got into trouble for it....
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It's an opportunity to teach our children even if we are convinced they didn't do anything bad...

the key is teaching ;)
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i agree that he should returned it, of course! But one time he had a penny in his pocket and the teacher took it and told him that Ben shouldn't have money in school! I just feel like the issue could have been handled differently, and the word stealing is not appropriate for this situation! But thank you all for the answers!
    Actress-mom81

Comment by Actress-mom81 (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• No, he didn't steal it. I would talk with him about turning in things he finds and then talk with the teacher about accusing him of stealing when technically he found it and is just a KID.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:27 AM on Nov. 12, 2010