What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

Episiotomy or Tear?

How likely will I tear or have an episiotomy when my Hospital Delivery?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 12:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Epsiotomy rates depend on your doctor's percentage of doing them. Ask him or her the percentage of births done with episiotomies.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My mom said that when she was having babies they were given as a precaution but nowadays I think the rates are lessening and given on an in need basis. I delivered in a hospital and did not get one. I agree with pp about speaking to your dr.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• That depends totally on the doctor, your baby's size and your own body. I tore quite badly because the doctor was literally asleep several rooms away from mine and the nurses weren't checking on me enough. I went from 8 cm to 10 in like a blink of an eye. The only reason they came into the room at all was because my moaning and screaming woke them up. Nice, huh? Then when I was being sewen up, the doctor didn't bother telling me as I was holding dd that he was proceeding with stitches and just started sewing away with no warning!!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i would also talk to my doctor, but you can tell them that you would much rather tear than get an ep (if that is what you would like) I also suggest looking into perennial massage. :) GL
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 1:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i agree, it depends on the size of your baby and your own size. when i gave birth to my first, i was pretty big after all the weight i gained and she was pretty small, only 6.9 ozs, but yet i still tore from one hole to the other (sorry for the tmi) and had to get stitches. it didn't hurt though and i didn't even know, i had the epidural. if my doctor would have predicted this and asked for an episiotomy, i probably would have turned it down and just tore anyway.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Ive had both, with my first I had an episiotomy(14 stitches). With my second I tore(2 stitches). I rather tear :) Good Luck.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• a lot also has to do with HOW you push. Force and coached pushing leads to more tears than pushing with your body and listening to your instincts.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Many women will opt for an episiotomy when they actually would not need it.

It all depends on the elasticity of your perinium. some women that have small babies will tear while others that have large babies do not.

If you opt for an episiotomy, just know that while it can be controlled by the doctor better than a tear, it heals slower even when stitched.

I opted to have my doctor tear me rather than to tear naturally. He could control how I tore and then I would heal better. He also felt that DD would be a large baby.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My first son was 9lbs12oz, I don't remember the episiotomy, but I assume I had one. My oldest daughter was l0lb. 12oz, and I had an episiotomy but still tore from front to back, and I felt every stitch! That Dr. was an ass! My youngest daughter was my easiest birth and I did have an episiotomy, but it was just a couple stitches. She was my easiest delivery, but I had a stroke a week later, that the hospital took responsibility for. She was only 8lb 12oz!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• most providers won't do episiotomies, but you should check with your doctor/midwife.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010