Could i have preeclampsia or am i just being paranoid?

A few days ago i went to walmart and decided to take my blood pressure well my systolic was a little elevated and my distolic was below normal. And for the past 3 days i have been getting what feels like contractions and there painful but irregular. I have been getting very sick to my stomach easily since last night and i have head pressure today. Could all this be normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well being pregnant, morning sickness and headaches are perfectly normal. And a "little" elevated doesn't mean preeclampsia. I had preeclampsia with my daughter and my BP was roughly 158 over 112, I had an amnio at 36 weeks to test her lungs and when it came back ok my c-section was scheduled the very next day (originally for 39 weeks)!

But those machines in stores are old and can be inaccurate, not to mention of course your BP will be a tad high from walking around, feeling achy or stressed, etc
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• 140/90 is when they start to worry, just based on blood pressure. If you're having other symptoms, though, you should bring them up with your doctor.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• the systolic and diastolic would both have to be elevated from your normal baseline blood pressure. If you see floaters random lights severe headache consult you physician, GL! :)
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If you are worried about it, you should talk to your doctor. Like DragonRider said, they don't start worrying until it is 140/90. But you should still bring it up too your doctor. If anything just go in and see if they will just check your blood pressure. Those machines at the store are not meant to replace a doctor's measurements(for lack of a better word). Good Luck!
    bcbmami

Answer by bcbmami at 2:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If it's pre eclampsia you would more than likely have other signs such as headaches, disturbed vision, swelling (more than the usual pregnancy swelling), dizziness, feeling sick and there would prob be protein in your urine if that was tested. If you honestly think it is something as serious as pre eclampsia then seek help.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 3:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2010