Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

eating too much junkfood?

My 2 year old son goes over to visit with my mother-in-law about 2 times a week. I have noticed that when he is hungry she doesn't offer him fruit or other healthy options and I have seen him eat candy and other not so healthy snacks there. I have told her many times that he loves his fruits and veggies but it seems to go in one ear and out the other and she never has them at her house. I also ask her to water down his juice and I have caught her giving him straight juice. Does anyone feel I should say something to her or just let it go because he's only there a couple days a week?

Answer Question

Asked by jme484 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 3 (15 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Maybe take your own stash over there??

    Answer by DMac08 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • Definitely say something to her.

    Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • Yes, you should certainly say something especially considering that right now is when you mold healthy eating habits.
    If you don't want to say something in fear of her being disrespectful towards your parenting efforts, send your child over with a packed lunch with snacks and drinks that you would allow and just be sure that she only feed out of that ;)

    Answer by littlestar85257 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • I would say something but be very careful. She wants to indulge him and that's great! Give her other options. Like an apple with PB and a few chocolate chips in it.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 1:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • I would say something. He is your son and you are the boss about what he eats especially when it is better than what she is giving him. Can you pack him snacks like cut up fruit and send it over in tupperware with his bag and pack a cup of watered down juice? That might help nudge her in the right direction.

    Answer by katie23 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • I would provide what I want my child fed if her caretaker wasnt going by my suggestions. Sit your mother in law down and tell you why you want him to eat healthy snacks. And remember she is grandma so let her induldge him a little as well... Personally, I dont do watered down juice I just limit my daughters amount of juice...

    Answer by navyjen at 1:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • i would definately say something

    Answer by coolchic320 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • She is a grandmother wanting to be a grandmother. If you want a compliant sitter then hire one. Other wise be thankful you have free help and understand that your child will know the difference between your house and grandma's house. I would still sit her down and talk to her about taking it down a notch though. Save the big spoiling for special visits.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Toddlers (1-2)
Potty Training...Help Me Please!

Next question overall (Relationships)
how often adult content