my 9 month old wont eat!!!!

the last week or so i cant find anything she will eat! she wont eat baby food in the jar so i started making my own which worked for a few days but now she doesnt want that, so i was giving her table foods that we eat and she didnt like that! the only thing she will eat is puffs! everything else she just takes a bite or two and then spits it out and screams and turns her head away! she has not eaten anything since her bottle at 2am this morning! she had like 2 bites of yogurt and 2 bites of sweet potato. and then a handful of puffs! she has got to be starving!! how do i get her to eat? is something wrong with her?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could try some fruits, there healthy, bananas cut up, peaches and pears. Try some chicken but puree it, cheerios is a really great food for kids, and pasta the curly kind is good, or cut up small pieces of graham crackers. All of these are good & healthy at the same time, and maybe food she'd like to pick up herself. Then maybe she's just not quite ready yet, my Dr. always told me, "They'll eat when their hungry." Good Luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Keep giving formula or breastmilk. Babies under age 1 don't need solids.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Give her some more bottle. =) My daughter is almost 8 months old and she loves her bottles way more than food. And since it's supposed to be the main source of nutrients for her 1st year I let her have it as much as she wants. Or is she turning the bottle away, too? Maybe she's teething? My son wouldn't eat much when he was teething.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I say, take the puffs away.
    A child will not starve themselves regardless of how much they hate food. Especially at this age....

Understand babies really don't eat all that much and tend to go through stages where they eat more than others. I would consider no more puffs and just keep offering regular old baby food. If it doesn't work and the baby is still refusing (I mean like 24hours worth) call the ped and ask for advice. You dont' need to take baby in, you should just ask for suggestions....
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• As long as she's getting a good amount of breastmilk/formula, solids don't matter at this age. If she's not eating anything, including breastmilk/formula, you should push for the bottle over the solids. Leave solids alone for a while, it's not a big deal. If you notice any signs of dehydration (fewer than 4 wet diapers in a 24-hour period, no tears when crying, inside of the cheeks not as wet as usual), call the doctor immediately. Otherwise, just let her take her bottle and don't worry about the rest.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• 1st she's not starving because if she were starving she would eat.. No child has ever willingly starved themselves She's just picky and thats ok. When they are this young whats most important is there vitamin intake. So make sure she's getting her bottle reg. Keep trying new things, they say it takes about six tries for kids to start to like stuff. My son is the same, he's a year and loves corn pops and mac and cheese.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i EP so i only make enough for her to eat 3 times at night and 2 times during the day so i cant just add more bottles! but i will try cutting out the puffs
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• she has 28oz of breast milk a day! and she is prolly teething she has 8 teeth so we have had a tooth every other week for the last 4 months its insane!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Kids will eat when they are hungry. My kids will skip meals if they don't feel like eating. Just give her some space, and give her some different options Also, do you let her feed herself? My youngest dd started eating better when I let her feed herself. She wanted more freedom. Yes, there will be messes, but if it makes them happy, let them do it.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010