How do you know when to have someone step in? Aspergers/austism or "normal" kids things

We had an Early Childhood Assessment done a month or so ago and they recommended moving forward just due to the social interaction we were concerned with.. At the time of the assessment he was at a daycare center which he was NOT doing well in, he couldn't progress to the levels he needed to at 2-1/2 and begged not to go and never interacted with other kids.. he seemed to get easily upset and almost unhappy in a daily manner.. I found a new daycare provider in home and so far he has changed SO dramatically, however I talked to her about the assessment and she agrees that going ahead with the early childhood program would benefit him as she has noticed many "autistic" behaviors such as lack of social skills with children, heads towards adults, troubles sharing, craves routine but to a certain degree, is that normal kid things also? Or not? I am having a hard time getting my husband to see it as beneficial..now I start wondering

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Autism Spectrum Disorders are typical behaviors taken to the extreme ~ that's the easiest way I can explain it to you. So, what you & your daycare provider are seeing may be typical behaviors for a very shy child or the behaviors may be atypical & too far out of normed ranges. The only way you are going to know is if you go ahead and get the evaluations. The folks doing the evaluations will be able to tell the difference between typical & atypical behaviors, so I would go ahead with the evals because it will help to lay your concerns to rest & let you enjoy your child for who he is no matter what the outcome. It's a win-win either way.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I agree early childhood program, they can help with his socialization. maybe find a diffent center one he likes one who has experience with special needs kids
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 1:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010