so i found out from her speech therapist (odd i know) that my 22 month old is hyper flexible?

she noticed how my daughter was sitting on her butt, legs straight out in front of her with her right foot turned in and not bending at the knee. also the left foot pointed straight down without bending at the knee. she can also sit on her knees, with both of her feet facing outward and inward, whichever she chooses at the moment. she can sit with one leg in front of her, and the other twisted behind her with her foot inward. i was told i need to correct her everytime she does this? if she's comfortable enough sitting this way, why should i correct it?

also, sometimes when she walks, she walks on the knuckles of her toes. she points her feet down to the floor, bends the toes and walks on them, kind of like tippy-toed only with her toes curled and walking on the knuckles. lol i know it's strange, but is it actually bad for her to walk this way and to sit certain ways? should i address it with her pedi?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What does a speech therapist know about the right and wrong ways a child should walk or sit?
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The only thing I know about this is that it is bad for kids to walk on their toes. It tends to make their achilles and calf muscle develop too short because they are not stretched out all the way. I would mention it to her dr at her next appt. Even if it is out of her area of practice, it is still valuable information worth investigation.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It can damage her joints if she does this for a prolonged amount of time. If it's something she'll outgrow as she becomes naturally less flexible, it might not be cause to worry, but I don't know whether that will happen if she does it all the time. I probably wouldn't take the speech therapists word on it, but I would get a referral to someone else--a physical therapist, perhaps?--who would be able to tell you something more and what exactly you should or shouldn't do about it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• if you are truly concerned have an Ot or Pt make an assessment.....I know my daughter has some hyper flexibility and she also has aspergers.....its part of the diagnosis, they have super loose joints.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 1:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• LOL YOU SPEECH therapist
    chanchan522

Answer by chanchan522 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• lol my thoughts exactly! apparently they know alot more than just speech development. she evaluated her for motor skills too? i guess this is all connected? i have no idea! but now im freaking out that she's going to damage her joints by sitting so odd!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• okay, i definitely will. she goes in for her 24 month next month, until then i will just keep working with her to sit and walk normally. my oldest still walks on her tippies still at 4 years old, not all the time but i do catch her doing it, and i never gave it second thought til my 22 month old was evaluated. i just wonder why they do it!?
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010