is it THAT uncommon for a 3 year old to not be able to hold a pen/crayon correctly??

This is a serious question. Our daycare provider is great and I love her but... she seems very concerned that our son can't hold his writing utensil correctly, enough where she ordered something on line to "help" because he can't seem to trace letters or even attempt it holding the crayon or marker correctly.. is it that uncommon or out of the ordinary? He just turned 3 this monday if that helps or matters

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's not just common, its normal. I was a preschool teacher for 3yr olds and 4yr olds. You child is doing just fine. At 3 thats when they can begin learing to hold a crayon and learn what it's used for. At four they learn how to write and trace numbers and letters and at five they should be writing comfortably.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm not sure. My daughter just turned 2 in August and she can hold pencils/crayons correctly and has been for a while. I think it's just one of those things that all kids do at different times. If you continue to be concerned about it, ask his pediatrician.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It may be. My son has autism and was behind in everything,but my cousin's son just turned 2 Oct 8th and he can hold it correctly

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• what does one determine " correctly " to be. does she want him to hold it like she does? let him hold it the way he is comfortable. He's a toddler, he's not doing term papers yet.
    I have 3 kids, they all hold a pencil differently and it resembles nothing like what me or DH holds it like.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I guess my concern is also coming from .. he is in the beginning stages of being tested or evaluated for what could be considered as high functioning autism/aspergers and he has a very frustrating time putting on his shoes or holding the crayon like he is being told, I agree to let him do it the way it feels comfortable for him, but our provider and my husband feel it would start a bad "form"? as if I don't second guess myself in every area as it was before this... ugh...
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Honestly, he's 3....I would just let him be 3....it bothers me that children are expected to do certain tasks earlier and earlier.....If I had my way, kids wouldn't start school until they were 7....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• No. That is NORMAL.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010