Suggestions for a reward chart?

I'm making a reward chart for my 10 year old ds who's having a hard time in school. I thought about things like an extra half hour tv or computer time but that's all I seem to be able to come up with. I don't want to use monetary rewards as I don't think he should get "paid" for something that's his responsibility. Or is the wrong attitude?

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• What about a day off? let him play hookey for day,(as long as the grades are good and there are no tests the day he wants off) We do it at work, I let my kids stay home once in awhile, it didn't hurt their grades.
    Wolfmother

Answer by Wolfmother at 3:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• what about a special family activity....like going bowling or out to putt putt golf, etc. That way, it's a double bonus..you get special fun time w/ the kids, they get a fun outing.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 4:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• you are paying im whether you use money or tv time. It is the same principal. You need to do what works for your kid.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 5:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Let him stay up an hour or two late on a Friday or Saturday night, let him get out of a chore he really hates for a day, let him pick a movie for movie night, let him pick dinner(my kids love to do this one!), let him have a friend sleep over...those are all I can think of for now.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• You're awesome tropicalmama, Kimebs. These ideas are great! Any others, keep em coming. I could use all the suggestions I can get because this is a really big issue for my son. And the more suggestions I get, will give me different ones to try if one isn't working out!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• When my son was having some behavior problems at school I went to the dollar store and bought a glass jar that he decorated himself. I bought raffle tickets and put one in everytime his teacher acknowledged he did a task in a timely manner and completely. She kept a sticky note on his desk and would put ticker marks on it whenever he was doing well. The instant gratification was just what he needed to keep him on track. I also rewarded him for stuff at home.

At the end of the week he got to redeem his tickets for 5 minutes of video game time or .25. I know you said you don't want to do money so I would say redeem them for staying up late.
    He was in the 3rd grade when we did this.
    LanieBug707

Answer by LanieBug707 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I have two 10yr old girls an 8yr old son.We to just started this chart.It had to be set up to earn things that was going to help them an me.An not cost me out the yang.Each child has diff things they are working on.I made a list of about 5 things they all need to work on.Mostly its things to take care of themselves.No fussing,clean room etc.Things that help me an them.I feel kids want time alone with parents.To feel special an what better way to get it than good behavior.SO my chart is set up on points.if they earn 300pts they get 1hour with parent of choice an 400 gets them 2hours .500 perfect score gets them two hours with the parent an a movie or game of choice rental an the whole family watch together.IT has worked well so far.
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• How about an afternoon at the movies, or mall, or park with mom and/or dad? My daughter and I take off about once a month and go to a dollar movie or just out for pie or something. Its a great time to catch up with her and she opens up alot to me during these outtings. Find what clicks for your kid and play on that.
    jjandjsmomma

Answer by jjandjsmomma at 4:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• you've gotten some great ideas so far and I hope they work for you!!! I'm the spoiler in this instance LOL. I tried the chore chart several times and well, it just didn't pan out for us. Things they really wanted they felt were unattainable and they quit trying AT ALL!!! With the challenges in our house we have had to make our rewards quicker to reach and again i know I am on the opposie side here but cold hard cash does work sometimes. My kids get alot of time with me because I work at their school it's time away from me that is their real treat LMAO!!!...Julie
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2008