Have you ever put your baby down for a nap on his stomach?

My 3 month old is currently nap training and the only way to get him back to sleep when he partially wakens from his naps is to put him on his stomach. I check on him frequently and remind myself that the only way my generation slept when we were babies was on our tummy's. Has anyone done this? If you did, were you terribly worried about it?

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• neither one of my kids would sleep on their backs...they both still sleep on their stomachs (dd is 4, ds is 1)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My son would not sleep any other way and would always roll on to his stomach at night anyway. Just don't put any blankets in his bed or stuffed animals.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My first napped only on his stomach for the first several months. I didn't worry too much, though, because he napped in the living room, where I was. I did not put him on his stomach when he started happing in his bed. I worry a lot even when they're on their backs (constantly checking their breathing, that kind of thing), so tummy sleeping wouldn't have helped my state of mind much.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i personally have not. i always put them down on their backs and only let them sleep on their tummies when they themselves could roll over into that position. i am extra careful about things like that, not saying you aren't, but i have high paranoia in those types of things.

my friend would though, put her baby on her tummy. but she would put her in the room with her and check on her frequently.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• All my babies were belly sleepers.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I never did but when we brought my little man home from the hospital he kept rolling over onto his stomach and that was just how he slept, I would try to move him to his back but he would just roll again. I worried about SIDS a lot and so it just made me paranoid, I checked on him 24/7 and would even lose sleep over it, it was crazy. He still moves to his side now but he can't stand to be on his tummy. I guess you should just ask your pediatrician (mine told me there was nothing I could do about it but that I should never put him down to sleep on his belly) and go with your gut. I'd keep an eye on him and avoid blankets and toys until my ped.' told me what I should do.
    little_lion

Answer by little_lion at 1:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't purposely put him on his stomach. However, from the time he was 6 months, he's always ended up on his tummy.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my 7 month old does every now and then and when we first brought her home we could not but when she hit about 3 months there were days and even nights when the only way she could go to sleep was on her tummy(i think for them it helps them release gas while they sleep). I did worry and checked all the time but only cause she had so many health issues.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 1:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My kids always slept on their belly - naptime, bed time... Whenever... From day one on, they never slept on their backs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my step daughter always slept on her stomach, even still at 17 months old.. she will lay on top of a stuffed animal and knock out.. many freak out thinking its horrible.. but the only reason for that was SIDS... which has to proven cause.. if youre still concerned i suggest talking to your doctor...
    AhmanisSoldier

Answer by AhmanisSoldier at 1:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2010