What steps do you take for discipline that may apply to a 3 year old or walk me through your child's time outs?

My son is having a hard time listening to anything I say. He is starting to raise his voice toward certain adults (such as my boyfriend who has been around since he was 20 months old), and I am not so sure time outs are working (I have him stand in a corner for 3 mins). I need some more ideas...he doesn't take me completely seriously. Thanks!

UptownAmanda

Asked by UptownAmanda at 1:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My Son is almost 3 1/2 and He has those moments sometimes. I do timeouts or take toys/privileges away and they both work pretty well.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• How do you do time outs?
    UptownAmanda

Comment by UptownAmanda (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• DD is 2 and when she gets a time out she has to count. If she messes up I help her but first time out is to 10, second to 20 and third to 30. We always talk about what was wrong- use very basic words and be repetitive. I do spank but never if she is hitting or kicking and it is almost always after 3 warnings but don't respond to violent behavior with violence. Even with a spank we talk it out.
    If I'm trying to cook I will buckle her in a high chair or booster (we have both) and give her some toys. If she throws them than she sits there with out and that is usually punishment enough.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Don't take this the wrong way but I have always thought standing kids in corners was demeaning. I'm sorry but i don't mean in any way to offend. However with each of my 4 kids, all I ever had to do was look them in the eye with a very stern voice and tell them clearly what I do not not like about their behavior and I explain what I expect and if they do not change they can go take a time out on their bed. Then I explain, " now you have a choice you can talk nicely or you can go to your bed, the choice is yours" I have found that when I choose ways to discipline that are not demeaning and I'm being firm yet remembering they are still people, I get results.
    Getting respect from kids starts with effective ways on how to act respectful and by letting them choose the behavior.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• First I explain in a short phrase why they can not do what they are doing and I ask them to please not do it again

then they are counted if it happens again it is 2, and again is 3 he goes to sit in a dark quiet room for 3 minutes (if he wont go there I carry him) he can not do anything except sit quietly and think OR he may look at a book (sometimes they need the diversion)

However I only timeout my kids for injury causing stuff or potentially injury causing

so I dont 'abuse' it cause the it looses its effectiveness--- example tonight ds insisted on playing with his apple cider at dinner instead of sitting and conversing...after several attempts to redirect he ignored me and I simply took it away... period end of discussion.. an hour later when he said he was thirsty I asked if he'd like to finish the cider and gave it back to him..bottom line is apple cider aint hurting no one..so often I'll let stuff like that slide
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yeah I like the idea of taking away the issue or taking away toys or privileges. I've noticed when you are in public and the act up, especially in restaurants, walking outside with them and telling them they need to settle down before we go back in works wonders!!!
    UptownAmanda

Comment by UptownAmanda (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010